A little cooking blog for my wife

Markus Thomas

My wife loves to cook, and I always like to further my knowledge around Processwire. So I thought I'll build a small page with the some small function to learn something.

Used modules:

• ProMailer
  • RepeaterMatrix
  • Pages2PDF
  • AIOM
  • and some other litte modules

Current functions:

• JSON-LD for recipes and page search
  • Automatic ingredient calculation when changing the number of servings
  • Creation of a PDF of the recipe
  • Basic PWA (here is something to do, actually)

Planned functions:

• a lot ?

Site: https://www.dothiscookingthing.de

dtct-screenshot.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Markus Thomas said:
  • JSON-LD for recipes and page search
  • Automatic ingredient calculation when changing the number of servings
  • Creation of a PDF of the recipe

??
I love these nice little details that make the site so much more interesting and better than a lot of recipe sites out there. Meanwhile it's a very good example on how ProcessWire can be used for almost anything - even as a blogging platform/tool. It even gets nice results in the Google Lighthouse Audit.

Might be me but I'd find it interesting to see how the backend is structured. Mind sharing a look behind the scenes?

Thanks a lot ☺️

I can show you the structure of the recipe template. Here are all accordions open.

Tags are reference fields for the categories as well as the ingredients that are used as reference for individual ingredient pages. New categories and ingredients are created automatically when you enter the recipe.

Especially with the ingredients there is still a lot to do, because the individual pages (e.g.  https://www.dothiscookingthing.de/zutaten/balsamico/ ) should still get texts and images. Maybe also a bit of SEO texts. ?

1617274479591.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Markus Thomas said:

I can show you the structure of the recipe template.

That's what I was talking about.

I imagined a setup like that and it's nice to see I wasn't that wrong about it. Could and will be a good example for others that like to build something similar (which reminds me about a site profile I built a long time back).

In regards of SEO are some options available here. From category to ingridient pages and even more. Which led me to this:

https://www.dothiscookingthing.de/zutaten/
https://www.dothiscookingthing.de/kategorien/

Both sites look quite empty right now but that's an easy fix.

That site looks like fun for all parties involved here.

I really like your implementation of ingredients as pages, as well as the structure of your recipe template - I've not yet brought RepeaterMatrix into my workflow but now feel I may have wasted a lot of time not doing so!

You mentioned a little about SEO text and the first thing that struck me when browsing the recipes is that unlike most recipe blogs the ingredients and recipe is the priority.

So many food blogs force you to scroll through walls of text to get to the recipe. I understand it's for SEO, reducing bounce rate and creative writing - but most don't even provide an anchor to the recipe!

Great work and I imagine you had a lot of fun building it.

Thanks.

Yes. RepeaterMatrix is awesome and save so much time. Since I'm using it I have to use a lot of templates less than before. 

25 minutes ago, Outward said:

You mentioned a little about SEO text and the first thing that struck me when browsing the recipes is that unlike most recipe blogs the ingredients and recipe is the priority.

The SEO texts I mean are just small teasers at the categories and ingredients. The recipes should not be filled with unnecessary content. 
The recipes have a JSON-LD markup and are also already displayed correctly as a recipe e.g. on Google Nest Hub.