Putting page hooks in Page Classes

MarkE

I'm sure I read something about this recently, but I can't find it ... (is there a way of bookmarking forum posts?)

I'm trying to move my page hooks out of ready.php into Page Classes, which I think are tremendous and use extensively. But what is the best way to do it? ready() doesn't trigger automatically. I tried 

public function ___loaded() {
        $this->ready();
    }

(thanks to @Robin S) and this does trigger it. However, if I do, say 

public function ready() {
        $this->addHookAfter('Pages::save', $this, 'afterSave');
        $this->addHookBefore('Pages::save', $this, 'beforeSave');
    }

then the hook methods get triggered by any page save, not just of instances of this class. I solved this by adding a breakout at the start of the method:

protected function beforeSave(HookEvent $event) {
        $p = $event->arguments(0);
        if ($this != $p) return;

but this seems a bit inelegant. Any better ideas?

4 hours ago, MarkE said:

public function ___loaded() {

I have just posted about my findings regarding ___loaded(), see: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/25343-putting-page-hooks-in-page-classes/ Note that I used the latest dev (3.0.174) to do my testings.

4 hours ago, MarkE said:

then the hook methods get triggered by any page save, not just of instances of this class.

The issue is that same I described in my post, I think. ___loaded() gets called for any pages when using "direct subclasses" whereas going further down the class hierarchy, this is no longer the case.

Regarding hooks, I found that applying them in the constructor works as expected, at least the following way:

//direct subclass
class DefaultPage extends Page {}

plus:

//subclass of direct subclass
class ArticlesPage extends DefaultPage {

public function __construct(Template $tpl = null) {
		parent::__construct($tpl);
		$this->wire->addHookAfter("Pages::saveReady", $this, "onSaveReady");
	}

//this one gets called as expexted upon saving the "Articles" page but not when saving others
	public function onSaveReady(HookEvent $event) {
		$page = $event->arguments(0);
		bd($page); //Tracy Debugger is required for this one :)
	}
}

Edited by szabesz
typo fix

Snap!!

33 minutes ago, szabesz said:

think. ___loaded() gets called for any pages when using "direct subclasses" whereas going further down the class hierarchy, this is no longer the case.

I find it is the case for both direct and subclasses

33 minutes ago, szabesz said:

Regarding hooks, I found that applying them in the constructor works

Nice plan - quite neat and maybe better than using ___loaded() - but I still find the called method operates on all pages, so I need to filter with

if ($this != $p) return;

It may be that my use case is rather different and that, in other circumstances, your solution works. In my case a button on the page executes a method which saves pages of a different class, but these still get caught by the hook.

EDIT: I find that @bernhard's solution has the same issue in my use case. The problem does not 'appear' to exist when using ready.php, because you naturally do $p = $event->arguments(0); there anyway and test for template before passing to the class method.

@MarkE Have you perhaps done anything "not so documented" besides simply placing your class files in /site/classes/?

For example, in an effort to relocate the class files, I tried to do this:

$classLoader->addSuffix('Page', __DIR__ . "/templates/abode/{$template}");

as suggested by @teppo over here but doing so somehow results in the behavior you describe, that is: there is no difference between direct subclasses and subclasses of those in this regard we are discussing right now.

Can you please provide more details about what and how you are trying to achieve so that I can also test that?

3 hours ago, szabesz said:

simply placing your class files in /site/classes/

That's where they are. I am also trying 

$this->addHookAfter('Pages::save(template=TemplateName)', $this, 'afterSave');

but can't get it to work at the moment.

Please see my post here

9 hours ago, MarkE said:

Nice plan - quite neat and maybe better than using ___loaded() - but I still find the called method operates on all pages, so I need to filter with

if ($this != $p) return;

That's correct behaviour. You are attaching the hook in your custom page class, but the hook you are attaching belongs to "Pages" and not to the custom page class.

If you attach a Pages::saveReady hook, it will always fire on Pages::saveReady having the saved page as arguments(0) and therefore you need to check if that page is your custom pageclass or not.

BTW I'd recommend doing this instead of $this != $p

$page = $event->arguments(0);
if(!$page instanceof self) return;

I've had problems using $page != $this when some properties of my page have changed and therefore the check returned false even though it was an instance of my custom pageclass. "instanceof" should always work as expected. You could also just check for $page->template if you prefer...

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MarkE said:

That's where they are. I am also trying 

$this->addHookAfter('Pages::save(template=TemplateName)', $this, 'afterSave');

but can't get it to work at the moment.

I already showed an example here https://processwire.com/talk/topic/21212-rockmigrations-easy-migrations-from-devstaging-to-live-server/?do=findComment&comment=212496 and here

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/25342-custom-classes-for-page-objects-the-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=212563

HiHxiGI.png

of course you can use $tpl = "template=yourtemplate" instead of using the class constant.

• Like 1

Are you sure you want to use Pages::save() ?

This does NOT mean that the page has been saved. For this we have the Pages::saved() hook! You are hooking into saving a single page field value, eg $page->save('myfield', 'myvalue');

1 hour ago, bernhard said:

BTW I'd recommend doing this instead of $this != $p

There is a subtle but important difference between the above and your suggestion. Actually in this case, I needed $this != $p because I did not want the hook to run on any page other than the current instance. Generally, to filter the page classes, your suggestion is the right one. I am now doing the filtering with (template=...) as per my earlier post, so the filter in the method is no longer needed. However, as I have now discovered, for my use case, I do still need to check that the save being hooked is of the current instance - which can either be done by $this != $p or by using $p thoughout in the hook method (not sure which is better...) .

1 hour ago, bernhard said:

Are you sure you want to use Pages::save() ?

Good question! I am using the (before) hook to validate fields and so Pages::save() is right, I think.

• 1 year later...

@thetuningspoon magicpages are super cool 😎 the only drawback is that they come with a small performance penalty as I need to load all available templates once on init and then attach the hooks or magic methods on applicable templates: https://github.com/baumrock/RockMigrations/blob/87541c899901f773bf62068a639f070f48a85453/MagicPages.module.php#L43-L51

The init() and ready() method (and the magic methods) are only called once for every template because I create one runtime page for each template on ProcessWire::init

The magic methods on the other hand only trigger for the correct pageclass because I have an early exit in the hook if the pageclass does not match: https://github.com/baumrock/RockMigrations/blob/87541c899901f773bf62068a639f070f48a85453/MagicPages.module.php#L113-L119

You might also like this:

• Like 1