Google Search Console reporting 'Deceptive Pages'

Kiwi Chris

I'm not sure that this is necessarily security, although Google thinks it is, but I'm interested to hear if anyone knows what triggers it.

I have a website that's triggered in the last 24 hours (I was on the site last night no problem) a big red warning from Google when you access the URL in Chrome: Deceptive site ahead

In Google Search Console, I'm told the site has deceptive pages, although Google won't give me any sample URLs to figure out where it's happening.

These pages attempt to trick users into doing something dangerous, such as installing unwanted software or revealing personal information. Learn more

When I click for further details, I'm told "Social Engineering Content detected on site ..."

I can't figure out what Google is determining to be 'Social Engineering Content' as the site looks fine in Edge or Firefox (running in Windows Sandbox just to be safe).

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, do you know what triggers Google to classify a site like this?

I'm starting to think the issue isn't with the website at all, but possibly the domain, as the webmail subdomain which points to a different IP address, and is managed by the web hosting provider is also flagged as unsafe, so it looks as though Google has blacklisted the entire domain and subdomains.

As of this morning, the mail server for the domain is also blacklisted by Microsoft, and that's a different IP address again.

It's shared hosting, so I wonder whether some dodgy WordPress site on the server has been compromised and started sending out spam resulting in all services from the same provider getting blacklisted.