Height doesn't change in css

Zendex

Hi,

I am trying to make a site for a studio, and I wanted to set a specific hover effect for my text. I want the background of the text to be lit up in the full height of the nav bar but it doesn't do it. I showed the expected result in the png in the attached files. I will also set the code here below, the top part is a css reset.

HTML:

<!doctype html>
<html>
<head>
<meta charset="UTF-8">
<title>Zendex</title>
    <link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
    <link rel="preconnect" href="https://fonts.gstatic.com"> 
<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css2?family=Offside&display=swap" rel="stylesheet">
</head>

<body>
    <div id="nav_bar">
        <div id="Zendex">ZENDEX</div>
<ul>
    <a href="contact.html"><li>CONTACT</li></a>
    <a href="films.html"><li>FILMS</li></a>
    <a href="about.html"><li>ABOUT</li></a>
    <a href="home.html"><li>HOME</li></a>
        </ul>
    </div>
    <div class="main"></div>
</body>
</html>

CSS:

@charset "UTF-8";
/* CSS Document */
html, body, div, span, applet, object, iframe,
h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, p, blockquote, pre,
a, abbr, acronym, address, big, cite, code,
del, dfn, em, img, ins, kbd, q, s, samp,
small, strike, strong, sub, sup, tt, var,
b, u, i, center,
dl, dt, dd, ol, ul, li,
fieldset, form, label, legend,
table, caption, tbody, tfoot, thead, tr, th, td,
article, aside, canvas, details, embed, 
figure, figcaption, footer, header, hgroup, 
menu, nav, output, ruby, section, summary,
time, mark, audio, video {
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    border: 0;
    font-size: 100%;
    font: inherit;
    vertical-align: baseline;
}
article, aside, details, figcaption, figure, 
footer, header, hgroup, menu, nav, section {
    display: block;
}
body {
    line-height: 1;
    background-color: #6A6969;
}
ol, ul {
    list-style: none;
}
blockquote, q {
    quotes: none;
}
blockquote:before, blockquote:after,
q:before, q:after {
    content: '';
    content: none;
}
table {
    border-collapse: collapse;
    border-spacing: 0;
}

/*-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

#nav_bar{
    overflow: hidden;
    position: fixed;
    top: 0;
    width: 100vw;
    height: 125px;
    background-color: #484848;
    border: solid 1px black;
}

li{
    font-size: 24px;
    text-shadow: 1px 1px 100px white;
    font-family: 'Offside', cursive;
    float: right;
    margin: 45px 50px 0px 0px;
}

#Zendex{
    font-size: 24px;
    text-shadow: 1px 1px 100px white;
    font-family: 'Offside', cursive;
    float: left;
    margin: 45px 0px 0px 100px;
    color: azure;
}

#home{

}

#about{

}

#films{

}

#contact{

}

ul{
    margin: 0px 50px 0px 0px;
    color: azure;
}

a:link{
    color: white;
}

li:hover{
    background-color: #6A6969;
    color: white;
}

css problem.png

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Joachim
      Long time user and huge fan of PW, but this time I can't find an answer to my question this time:
      For my social media buttons, I have a Repeater field called var_link_web with two fields: one is for the URL, and the other is an Images field containing two images that are used as a background-image for a <div>, of which the second is the ':hover' version (although activated through JavaScript here). 
      There are four instances of this Repeater, of which two are 'turned off'.
      I use the following PHP in my _main.php to call them, wrapped in <p><?php == ?></p>:
      $s_m_button = $variables->var_link_web; foreach($s_m_button as $button){ $button_image = $button->var_link_image->first->height(80); $button_image2 = $button->var_link_image->eq(1)->height(80); echo " <a href='$button->var_link_url'> <div class='image_link' style='background-image:url({$button_image->url})' onMouseOver='this.style.backgroundImage=url({$button_image2->url})' onMouseOut='this.style.backgroundImage=url({$button_image->url})'> </div> </a>"; }; ($variables leads to an unpublished page with several fields I want to have easy access to, and is defined in _init.php.)
      However, this gives me the following result:

I have no idea where the extra <p>'s come from. The URL field has the 'HTML Entity Encoder' turned on. What's even weirder is that the HTML source file seemingly renders correctly:
      <p> <a href='https://www.facebook.com/'> <div class='image_link' style='background-image:url(/site/assets/files/1045/icons-facebook-square.0x80.png)' onMouseOver='this.style.backgroundImage="url(/site/assets/files/1045/icons-facebook-square2.0x80.png)"' onMouseOut='this.style.backgroundImage="url(/site/assets/files/1045/icons-facebook-square.0x80.png)"'> </div> </a> <a href='https://www.instagram.com/'> <div class='image_link' style='background-image:url(/site/assets/files/1046/icons-instagram-square.0x80.png)' onMouseOver='this.style.backgroundImage="url(/site/assets/files/1046/icons-instagram-square2.0x80.png)"' onMouseOut='this.style.backgroundImage="url(/site/assets/files/1046/icons-instagram-square.0x80.png)"'> </div> </a> </p> Removing the JavaScript has no effect. I'm probably missing something obvious, but am at a loss here.

Thank you in advance!
    • By franciccio-ITALIANO
      Hi, I have created over twenty different templates for the same site.
      In all of them, the same long piece of html code appears. 
      Could someone suggest me the php code I need to write in the template files to link that piece of html code, which is always the same everywhere?
      What strategies could I use to link it?
      The problem is that this long piece of code that is identical everywhere, MAY change IN TIME. So, when I fix it, I would have to change it in all twenty template files.... 

• By milo695
      Hello,
      I've added a class in ProcessPageEditLink but when I call it from Editor (attributes > class) nothing happens.
      Also, I've created the class in my custom.css, is there any other css file this class needs to be in?
      thanks
    • By wwwouter
      Some context: I want to use PHP variables in my CSS (more info below) and found a solution on CSS-tricks that looks fairly elegant and somewhat solid to me. It's pretty simple, I created a file style.css.php inside the site/templates/ directory and load that in my page head. In style.css.php is the following:
      <?php header("Content-type: text/css; charset: UTF-8"); header("Charset:utf-8"); if ($homepage->hero_image) { echo <<<CSS .hero { background: url($homepage->hero_image->url) no-repeat; } CSS; } ?> Because of the following RewriteCond (line 373) in the htaccess file the server sends a 403 error back when the file is requested:
      # Block access to any PHP or markup files in /site/templates/ or /site-*/templates/ RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (^|/)(site|site-[^/]+)/templates($|/|/.*\.(php|html?|tpl|inc))($|/) [NC,OR] (My htaccess file is @version 3.0 and @htaccessVersion 301)
      This is how I thought I could fix that (based on these answers on stack overflow) but it does not work:
      # Block access to any PHP or markup files in /site/templates/ or /site-*/templates/ RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (^|/)(site|site-[^/]+)/templates($|/|/((?!style\.css).)*\.(php|html?|tpl|inc))($|/) [NC,OR] I tested the rule with htacess tester and htaccess check and both worked for me, but on my site I still get a 403 instead of the file.
      I'm working on localhost, using MAMP (not sure if that's relevant).
      A bit more about what I want to do achieve specifically:
      I want to use an image as a background-image for an element, not place it as an image. This image is provided by the user via a field and can therefore change.
      I know I can achieve this like this:
      echo "<section class='hero' style='background-image: url($page->hero_image->url)'></section>"; But I would prefer a method other than inlining because of scalability and cleanliness. (I admit the extra link in the page head is not ideal either)

P.s. this is my first post here, I hope it's submitted in the right forum and my explanation is clear.
    • By Greg Lumley
      Hi! In busy learning to know PW better I'm looking at existing code.
      I have Bitpoets Editorial Responsive Blog as example. While looking through the code I've just found this line in the blog-head.php 
      <link rel="stylesheet" href="<?= $config->urls->templates ?>assets/css/main.css?ts=<?= time() ?>" /> I hope it's not a stupid question but I've never seen this before...
      main.css?ts=<?= time() ?> I notice the main template is empty but of course renders on the front end.
      Using a timestamp really has me totally confused. Can someone explain it to me please. 
      Thank you! 
      Greg