Sites very slow to load -- mainly images?

douglas81

Hi there,

I seem to be having problems with me Processwire sites. Page load times are extremely slow. It seems to be slow loading images, but maybe it's just that they are most obvious because they are larger in (file) size.

Please can somebody head to:

https://douglaswhates.com/ 

and tell me if the home page takes a while to load? For me, sometimes it is very fast (e.g. 300ms), but sometimes it is very slow (like, 20 seconds or so). I'm struggling to repeat the problem consistently. Only happens with a hard refresh. Loading from local cache is quick.

I don't think it's an issue with my router, or DNS, or anything like that, as I have tried it on multiple machines, with different internet connections. Also, same issue accross Chrome, Edge, Safari.

Doesn't seem to be a coding issue, because even loading something like this will be very slow (like, 6 seconds or so on a fast 80Mbps connection).

https://douglaswhates.com/site/assets/files/2442/jamie-recording-session.1536x1024-pd1-jo.jpg

It's not a ping issue, as looking at network tab in inspector, it's the actual download of the file which is slow. Could it be some sort of throttling going on?

I don't see this problem on my own maching with other websites. Only my websites, which suggests a clash with ProcessWire somehow??

douglaswhates.com is on PW 3.0.148. Other sites (e.g. https://elevenkinds.com) are on PW 3.0.165. All affected by the same issue.

Could it be an apache issue? I recently switched servers. Now running: Server Version: Apache/2.4.43 (Unix). Also, this server is running Varnish.

Any thoughts?

Douglas.

Are these website all on the same server ? Or on shared hosting ? Or do you also have the issue locally ?

I have this issue with one of my websites where sometimes the TTBF drops down. Can't say for sure as I did not investigate much yet but I assume it's because there might be other websites on the shared hosting taking too much power.

Sorry I'm not helping much so here's a screen of the timings I had for your website, looks pretty normal to me :

1061751995_Capturedecran2021-03-03a22_51_08.thumb.png.9593148aa2211b034d444c3975b34479.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have a little update on this.

It turns out my webhosts had an issue with how their server was interfacing with Varnish, so it seems like I was on the right lines. There was nothing I could do at this end, and it was a problem they were aware of. They have now fixed it, and all the sites are running super-speedy again, which I've very relieved about!

So, thanks for the help. I'll lleave this thread here incase it is useful for some people in the future.

Cheers!

On 3/3/2021 at 9:56 PM, monollonom said:

Are these website all on the same server ? Or on shared hosting ? Or do you also have the issue locally ?

I have this issue with one of my websites where sometimes the TTBF drops down. Can't say for sure as I did not investigate much yet but I assume it's because there might be other websites on the shared hosting taking too much power.

Sorry I'm not helping much so here's a screen of the timings I had for your website, looks pretty normal to me :

1061751995_Capturedecran2021-03-03a22_51_08.thumb.png.9593148aa2211b034d444c3975b34479.png

Really appreciate that you took the time to check this out, and sorry for the slow response. Yes, it was on shared hosting, but with a lot of the shared server resources dedicated to my sites.

Well, the problem was resolved by my webhosts (Gandi), and things are running quick again. The full page loads in under 500ms now, which is more in line with what I would expect.

• Like 1