Nested Categories

Joss

Greetings,

Yes, this is exactly it.

How liberating.  For years, I've been quietly thinking along these lines.  ProcessWire allows us to really open up the whole idea of pages, fields, categories...

Not just fractals, but everything in nature.

Has anyone here read "On Growth and Form" by D'Arcy Thompson?

Thanks,

Matthew

• Like 1

Greetings,

OK, while we're at it...

Another idea is to read Jorge Luis Borges.

I'm not just throwing out random authors.  These works are linked to the whole idea of categories.

Yes, that's right -- ProcessWire seems connected to these literary works.  There is a lot to say about this, but I will save it for another discussion so Joss's original concept is not completely covered over.

Now I know I am in the right crowd when I can talk about D'Arcy Thompson and Borges.

Thanks,

Matthew

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

At the risk of bringing this "hippy" conversation back down to the ground, I have the following question:

So, let's say I set up a bunch of pages as categories as per Ryan and other's recommendations for using Page Field Reference. How do I go about allowing an article to have more than one category? I presume a repeater field? Or a new fangled page table thingie in 2.5? I think I'm missing how someone selects more than one category when adding / editing an article?

Thanks.

Solved. Lesson: actually try stuff before posting :)

At the risk of bringing this "hippy" conversation back down to the ground, I have the following question:

So, let's say I set up a bunch of pages as categories as per Ryan and other's recommendations for using Page Field Reference. How do I go about allowing an article to have more than one category? I presume a repeater field? Or a new fangled page table thingie in 2.5? I think I'm missing how someone selects more than one category when adding / editing an article?

Thanks.

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/3579-tutorial-approaches-to-categorising-site-content/

PageFields can accept more than one page. Maybe just create one and have a look at the settings. 

Ugh, yes sorry. I should have actually tried it before posting. Sorry, new to PW and still wrapping my head around how everything works. I'm amazed at the functionality of the page field. I'm so used to other CMS variables that are basic and need all sorts of functionality built on top to do simple things like allow multiple selection, etc. PW is amazing.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

If you need one-time toggles, individual checkboxes are a fine way to go. But for multiple related items like categories, the Page reference field is the way to go. You can create a structure of pages representing any amount of flat or nested categories. If you use nested categories, choose the "Page List Select Multiple" as your input type, and set the root level of your categories structure as the "Parent". 

This was a big help on my current project, Ryan. Thank you.

Hi everyone!

I haven't read the entire thread since 2013 but here goes a heads up for a SEO tip.

Beware of content duplicates when using multiple categories. The posts/articles/pages should have only ONE accessible url.

So this is bad:

domain.tld/categ/article

domain.tld/categ/sub/article

This is good SEO:

domain.tld/article

Or

domain.tld/categ/subcateg/article

All other possibilities should redirect to the official (canonical) url.

Short urls are better... But be sure to include relevant keywords.

Hope it helps someone.

That's only half the truth. It's true that content duplication is bad for seo, but using the meta canonical tag in the head does prevent this. You can have as much entry points to content, only the canonical url in the meta tag needs to be the same on all of them. A redirection is not necessary.

As for "relevant keywords". Keywords is the meta tag least important for seo. Google doesn't even evaluate them anymore.

• Like 1

Hello LostKobrakai,

Thank you for the additional info about canonical meta tags.

I'm aware and do not disagree with you.

Still my preferred method is ONE url only.

No need to redirect, no need to track canonical tags...