The "my biggest fail today" Thread

Luis

Hi Ladies and Gents,

cause I did some stupid fails today and before i´m eating my mouse and keyboard I just drop my biggest fail this day. 

While cleaning up my home server which i´m using as local dev server for clients and doing my accounting and invoice management on, I just dropped the database which stores my 2012 Accounting.

Thanks to my nervous finger.

Now I have to do my accounting from last year at the upcoming weekend.

• Like 1

Thanks mate,

I grab a cool beer now, set my office tool up and look how it works in productive mode.

So the good one is a nice test of the new Script.

@netcarver: thanks for this, will try it Out.

Ouch.

Write a simple cronjob which dumps all databases to a Dropbox folder - or other online service. Saved me a couple of weeks work in 2012. 

My biggest fail had to be working on a very extensive design for 1.5 week locally before moving it on the network drive (which runs automated backups). Then I decided to delete it since I copied it. Then I realized I was working on the network drive. The backup were about to run. I almost fainted and actuallyactually felt sick. Luckily the projectmanager was able to postpone the deadline with client. Since then I started using Dropbox and (since PW also git) so I can recover most stuff.

• Like 1

I did something similar in 2011. The good thing was it was a personal project, the bad thing was it was a few months' worth of evenings that I'd lost :( Some evenings were more productive than others of course so I probably only lost 2 weeks of work in real terms, but it still hurts.

The end result was that, since it was a ProcessWire site, I came back to it a bit later on to re-do the bits I'd lost and not only was I quicker at it the second time around I actually did a better job of it too in about 3 weeks worth of evenings.

So yes, I try to backup often nowadays :)

• Like 2

My biggest fail was I created a new universe and after seven day of hard work I was about to finish but unforunately I couldnt save it because it was too darn big it just disappeared in a big black hole...

• Like 2