Easier way to get back to the frontend from the backend

schwarzdesign

We're currently working on a few sites that have some users with very limited access; most importantly, some users can only edit their own profile and nothing else in the backend. We're using AdminThemeUiKit, so the CMS navbar only contains the site logo and the username for those users. The problem is that the crucial "View site" link that gets you back to the frontend is hidden in the dropdown behind the username. This isn't immediately obvious (and TBH it does feel out of place there, even when you know it's there).

I'm looking for ways to make the "back to site" link more visible – and I also think this is worth a discussion for AdminThemeUiKit in general. Here's what I have considered:

• Ideally, clicking the logo would take you back to the frontend (currently, you just get a blank page with nothing but an 'edit profile' button). I checked the settings, but the Uikit theme only has options to open the site tree or open a side navigation. Maybe a new option to go back to the frontend could be added? Or maybe the method that gets the logo link should be made hookable, so I could retain the default behaviour for editors, but change the link for users with limited access.
  • An additional link in the menu would also work. But the only way I can think of to add this would be a Process module that just redirects to the homepage. But that's a bit overcomplicated, and I would like to do this without the additional redirect.
  • Of course, copying the theme and modifying it manually or inserting a prominent link with JavaScript would work, but both options are sort of hacky and require some upkeep.

Is there a better way? Have you come across this problem yet, and how did you solve it? I'm looking forward to suggestions!

• Like 1