little green CO in my favicon ? What is it?

Roych

13 minutes ago, kongondo said:

Not sure if it is the TracyDebugger one, to indicate site you are on? I could be wrong. I cannot remember if that feature is still supported

I guess it still is ? When I disable tracy the CO is gone. ?

Thank you

R

Yep, it's Tracy - it's designed to give you a visual indicator as to whether you're working on a live, local, dev, staging etc version of the site. It is configurable to work with subdomains or TLDs. Take a look at the "Server Type Indicator" section in Tracy's settings.

I find this really invaluable, but I know that @kongondo hates it ?  

Anyway, you can easily disable it if you want, but note that of course it's only visible to users with Tracy permissions, so visitors to the site won't see it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kongondo said:

it's the first and only thing I disable by default whenever I install Tracy.

@adrian Actually, I would love to have the option to have it for the admin only but disable it for the frontend. Currently it is all or nothing, meaning that we can disable all indicators for the frontend, but I would like to disable/enable them individually, separately for both admin and frontend. Maybe the "Where" option could be merged with the "Indicator type", so that each indicator has its own "Where" option. That would satisfy all needs, I guess.

We would also save some screen real estate, as both blocks of these options are rather emptiesh, and the merged UI would fit in the block of "Where" easily. That way, the settings page would be a little shorter than it is currently.

Edited by szabesz
typo fix

26 minutes ago, szabesz said:

That way, the settings page would be a little shorter than it is currently.

While we are at it, coud you please optimize the following as well please:

• Request Logger Panel: all its three rows can fit in 1/3% "columns".
  • Request Info Panel: "Panel sections" is very tall compared to "Show image thumbnail..." Maybe "Panel sections" options can be spread out into columns? Perhaps a quick and dirty CSS columns property addition would solve it. Actually, you have solve it for the panel selector options already.
  • Error logging: same as above. Log severity is very tall, maybe a two column layout would help while at the same time the other columns next to it could be narrower.

BTW, I like the new Quick links, thanks fort that! My only issue is that it is not in alphabetical order, so it is not that easy to find what I am looking for. I understand that it is in the same order as the sections below, but I do not know the order of them anyway, so the current order is not much of a help. The only order I know by heart is the alphabetical one.

Also, it would be nice to have a "go to top" option for the debug bar, so that we can easily jump to the top, and not just on the Tracy settings page. (Yes, I can do it with my keyboard, but I often prefer using the mouse instead.)

Edited by szabesz
typos

8 minutes ago, szabesz said:

The only order I know by heart is the alphabetical one.

Another idea popped up in my mind ? The Panel Selector of the Debug Bar lists the panels in alphabetical order, which is quite OK with me, however, what if there wire direct links to the panels settings? Maybe the far right side of each list item can be a good candidate the location of the links (perhaps links on icons?).

@szabesz - thanks for your thoughts on the settings.

One problem with setting those checkboxes to use columns is this: https://github.com/processwire/processwire-issues/issues/1327

Regarding the quicklinks being in alphabetical order. I kinda agree with you, but I @Robin S thought the matching the order of the settings was better. I'd be willing to change, but given that this is his feature, I'd like his OK first.

There are direct links to settings at the bottom left of each panel. I think that is probably enough, but I could consider adding them to the Panel Selector as well if you still think it would be helpful.

Not sure about the scroll to top button - it feels a bit out of place in Tracy, but I'll think it over.

I'll also have a think about the server type indicator frontend/backend changes - that seems like a good idea.

• Like 1

Hello Adrian, thanks for your kind reply.

3 hours ago, adrian said:

One problem with setting those checkboxes to use columns is this: https://github.com/processwire/processwire-issues/issues/1327

My clients and me solely use the admin on desktop (I guess we do not like to torture ourselves ...) so I have no experience with narrow viewports.

There are direct links to settings at the bottom left of each panel. I think that is probably enough

Well, it is similar for sure but not the same. Anyway, this idea is not that important so I am quite happy to forget all about it ?

Not sure about the scroll to top button - it feels a bit out of place in Tracy, but I'll think it over.

How about adding it to the Tracy logo? Currently, a double click is used for taking us to the settings page but a singe click does nothing. Maybe that event could trigger a "go to top". BTW, Server Indicator Type is in the same league: not really about debugging and such but about aiding the developer with a subtle but useful touch.

5 hours ago, adrian said:

I kinda agree with you, but I @Robin S thought the matching the order of the settings was better. I'd be willing to change, but given that this is his feature, I'd like his OK first.

I don't mind about the sort order if you guys think changing it will be an improvement. Having "Main setup" in the middle seems a bit unusual but not a big deal.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Robin S said:

Having "Main setup" in the middle seems a bit unusual but not a big deal.

True but I don't think that matters as the "Main setup" section is at the top, so there's not too much need to use that quick link anyway. It's just there for completeness, I guess ?

@szabesz - I've taken care of most of your requests. The only ones I haven't done are the separate front/back end visibility for the various server type indicators - this will actually be quite a bit of work which I don't have time for at the moment. The other thing I didn't change is making those checkboxes into columns for those panels you mentioned - the problem is not just the responsive issues, but more importantly, it's that it messes with the order of checkboxes - they end up going across the rows, rather than down the columns which is actually pretty awful.

Anyway, let me know if all the other stuff works as you'd hoped, including the scroll to top ?

• Like 1

@adrian Thank you very much!

Maybe the gray of the gear icons could be lighter because currently there is too much focus on them (if it is possible to recolor those SVG icons in the first palce...)

But most importantly, the "go to top" single click works randomly in Firefox (mac). I also tested it in Chrome, where it works all the time but – for some strange reason – not always in Firefox.

26 minutes ago, szabesz said:

But most importantly, the "go to top" single click works randomly in Firefox (mac). I also tested it in Chrome, where it works all the time but – for some strange reason – not always in Firefox.

Running Firefox Developer version on MACOS here and can't seem to make it fail - tried multiple pages, multiple times. Maybe you could debug for me? When the single click scroll doesn't work, does the double-click to open settings also fail? I wonder if the JS that hacks into that button isn't loading at the right time after the button is rendered?

I'll make the gear icons lighter in the next version.

I might have figured it out: actually, there is no problem when I can perform a single-click without moving the mouse between mousedown and mouseup. However, even if I happen to move the mouse just by one pixel during the click, then the #tracy-debug-logo div's mouse drag kicks in, and that is the end of the story... It also works the same way in Chrome, so actually there seems to be no difference in the way these two browsers work in this case. When I use the trackpad of my MacBook Pro, then it sometimes happen that I cannot single-click without moving my fingers a bit.

@szabesz - maybe it's because I have my trackpad sensitivity / speed quite slow, but I struggle to actually reproduce what you see. Perhaps I could remove the Tracy core eventListener for moving the bar. I disabled moving it another way quite a long time ago - it was causing all sorts of other problems IMO and didn't add any significant benefits.