How to use current page fields in selector?

theoretic

Hi there! And thanks for Processwire!

I have an interesting task which i cannot fulfill as i want. Maybe someone could help me please?

Let's imagine a simple page structure of this kind:

Category 1
+ Item 1.1
+ Item 1.2
Category 2
+ Item 2.1
+ Item 2.2

My task is to attach some items to more than one category, at least to show some items on different frontend category pages. With PW, it's a piece of cake. I've just created a field called Items (of type Page Reference) and attrached it to Category template. Since i have lots of items inside each category i preferred to use Page Autocomplete input for my Items field. The pages available for autocomplete are restricted by a very simple selector:

template=item

It works like a charm. But later i decided to make this autocomplete even smarter and to exclude current category children items from it. I tried to update my selector this way...

template=item,parent!=(page)

...and oops, this broke my selector. My autocomplete founds nothing. Sorry, i had to replace the square braces by () because of this forum limitations, i swear i'm using square brackets in real-life selector!

What am i doing wrong? And is there any way to include current page info in autocomplete-related selectors? Thanks in advance!

Sorry guys. It appears i've run into an issue with the forum editor. I tried to edit my post around 10 times, it's still not visible. So i'll try to post it as plain text.

Hi there! And thanks for Processwire!

I have an interesting task which i cannot fulfill as i want. Maybe someone could help me please?

Let's imagine a simple page structure of this kind:

Category 1
+ Item 1.1
+ Item 1.2
Category 2
+ Item 2.1
+ Item 2.2

My task is to attach some items to more than one category, at least to show some items on different frontend category pages. With PW, it's a piece of cake. I've just created a field called Items (of type Page Reference) and attrached it to Category template. Since i have lots of items inside each category i preferred to use Page Autocomplete input for my Items field. The pages available for autocomplete are restricted by a very simple selector:

template=item

It works like a charm. But later i decided to make this autocomplete even smarter and to exclude current category children items from it. I tried to update my selector this way...

template=item,parent!=(page)

...and oops, this broke my selector. My autocomplete founds nothing. Sorry, i had to replace the square braces by () because of forum limitations, i swear i'm using square brackets in real-life selector!

What am i doing wrong? And is there any way to include current page info in autocomplete-related selectors? Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, theoretic said:

And is there any way to include current page info in autocomplete-related selectors?

Just make use of the $page variable like:

"template=item, parent!=$page"

Note the double quotes, or if you prefer:

'template=item, parent!='.$page

• Like 1

In the "Selector string" setting for "Selectable pages" you can use "page" to refer to the current page, but only if you also specify a subfield using dot syntax. In your case you would use page.id to exclude children of a parent:

template=item, parent!=page.id

Unfortunately I don't think this is documented anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

You just saved my bacon, @Robin S — thanks for this! For those searching, this is the secret sauce for presenting a subset of entries to select from, based on a previous selection. In my case:

parent=page.refSection

where refSection is a grosser-level selection in a hierarchy. I believe this also answers this question:

• Like 1