How to use ProcessWire standalone (without DB connection)

bernhard

The PW core comes with many great classes such as WireData, WireArray and so on. Sometimes I'm developing stuff without a running PW instance and I'd love to have the great PW api available there as well. I've mentioned that in the PW Roadmap 2021 thread and Ryan stated: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/24897-weekly-update-– 8-january-2021/?do=findComment&comment=209891

Spoiler
On 1/11/2021 at 5:10 PM, ryan said:

Examples of such classes that might be useful even without a DB connection could be:

With the exception of WireMail, all the classes you mentioned are intended to be available for standalone use. Though it's been a long time since I've used any of PW's classes in that way. This I think is likely an easily attainable thing to support though. Most of the mentioned classes just extend the Wire class, making it the only dependency (and Wire doesn't require a DB connection).

There's no reason why we need a running PW instance with a DB connection for such a code example. Of course I know that it's technically required in many places in the core, but maybe these places could be identified and removed in the future?! 

A DB connection would be needed for WireMail because it is a module type. Installed modules are known from the database modules table. A WireMail module also maintains its settings in the database. Now is is true that the base WireMail class can operate without a database, but WireMail is only useful because it is a module type. Take out the module aspect and WireMail is just an interface to PHP's mail(). 

That sounded interesting, so I've tried how that works and created a repo for quick and easy testing so that everybody can try what works and share their findings so that everybody can learn.

https://github.com/baumrock/PwStandalone

PwStandalone

The ProcessWire core has many great classes such as WireData, WireArray, WireRandom etc.; Many of them can be used without a running PW installation!

This repo helps testing those features and hopefully will motivate others to share their findings (as PRs). It's as simple as creating a new file in the examples folder!

img

I'd appreciate any help regarding the examples throwing an error! PRs for other examples that you've tried very welcome!

• Like 12

• 1 year later...

Actually it's a lot easier!

// /path/to/pw/root/standalone.php
<?php namespace ProcessWire;
require "wire/core/ProcessWire.php";
$data = new WireData();
$data->foo = 'foo';
$data->bar = 'bar';
echo print_r($data->getArray());

// execute the script
cd /path/to/pw/root