Book Recommendations

apeisa

For all you star wars fanatics: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/145210655X

Arrived today and me and my 5 year old son both love it :)

Please feel free to share other great stuff here.

LOL! There was me thinking that Darth Vader could only eat grated (shredded) vegetables or cheese :rolleyes:

Antti, do you want this thread to be about kids stuff in particular -- or just any great recommendations?

Since "everything goes" I'd really like to suggest two wonderful books for those who haven't read them yet; "Getting Real" and "Rework", both by 37signals. Seriously, I can't get enough of these -- currently reading Rework for the third time (I think..) :)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm in the middle of this one http://www.larryullman.com/books/php-advanced-and-object-oriented-programming/, and liking it a lot.

I've been reading snippets of this book and have to say it's excellent so far.

I've never really considered reading books to learn code, yet it's what most people seem to do. Can you recommend reading books for learning code in general? I always imagined it would be better using online resources/videos but think I may give proper books a go...

I always imagined it would be better using online resources/videos

How much time per day do you spend looking at the light of the screen? I would guess too much... I prefer to stay away from it as much as I can, and reading on paper is great for this. Plus, you can do it on a coffee table outside or on a bench by the river :)

Now I bought a kobo e-reader. With the e-ink technology It really feels like paper and I recommend it to everyone.

• Like 3

How much time per day do you spend looking at the light of the screen? I would guess too much... I prefer to stay away from it as much as I can, and reading on paper is great for this. Plus, you can do it on a coffee table outside or on a bench by the river :)

Now I bought a kobo e-reader. With the e-ink technology It really feels like paper and I recommend it to everyone.

Thanks Diogo, the irony is I'm a massive book lover in the general sense but always imagined books for code quite old fashioned. Do you not want to test things as you're reading them, though suppose you could do that too.

Depends a lot on how the book is written. I really don't like those books that assume that you are reading them in front of the computer. I avoid them like the plague :)

Of course it's good to test things, but if the book is well structured (IMO) You can do it after each chapter for example. Larry Ullman books are great in that matter.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Since "everything goes" I'd really like to suggest two wonderful books for those who haven't read them yet; "Getting Real" and "Rework", both by 37signals. Seriously, I can't get enough of these -- currently reading Rework for the third time (I think..) :)

I finished "Rework" the other day - great book that I wished I'd read sooner. Don't get me wrong, so much of it is common sense, but a lot of common sense is things you don't think about until after it's been pointed out to you or after you've made your mistakes (basically common sense isn't always common :)).

It's over 200 pages, but none of the sections is more than a few pages and they've dropped illustrations in every couple of pages, so it's not a difficult read by any means and could be read easily over a few evenings or an afternoon.

Currently reading "Remote: Office Not Required" by the same guys. I've not read "Getting Real" yet but I'll add it to my list.

My family were a little confused as to why I was asking for work-related books for Christmas, but I knew these would be fairly easy-going.

• Like 3