How to do getRandom or equivalent for repeater?

MarcC

So I tried using $page->repeater->getRandom() in some template code but it didn't seem to work. Should this work? If not, what is the recommended way of working with a single, randomly-chosen repeater item?

Thanks!

Having a repeater field called "rep" on my home template I added this to template file:

echo $page->rep->getRandom()->name;

... and on each page load it echoed the name of one random item. Actually tested it with both 2.2 and 2.3 and neither had any problems with this.

So, what exactly is your code doing / not doing when it doesn't seem to work?

• Like 1

Not sure what the issue might be here, but just wanted to post the different options for getting random items:

• getRandom() - With no arguments, returns 1 random item (unless the array is empty)
  • getRandom(n) - Returns n random items, where n is greater than 1.
  • Like 1

• 10 years later...

10 years later!

Searching for a getRandom() solution from a repeater, I stumbled upon this thread.
I have the repeater_headline_movie_text with the field media_manager_v_single. My goal is to render only one repeater item randomly.
This is my bad code:

<? foreach ($page->repeater_headline_movie_text->getRandom() as $item) : ?>
					<article class="video_article">
						<h3><?= $item->headline; ?></h3>
						<?php
						$out = $item->media_manager_v_single->each(function ($resource) {
							return "<video src='{$resource->media->url}' poster='{$resource->media->poster}' width='720' height='408'  controls></video>";
						});
						echo $out;
						?>

<div class="textwrapper">
							<?= $item->body_second; ?>
						</div>
					</article>
				<? endforeach; ?>

getRandom() by default returns a single item (Repeater item in your case). So the foreach tries to iterate over that single Repeater item's properties instead of an array of items. There are three solutions:

1. Drop the foreach and just do "$item = $page->repeater_headline_movie_text->getRandom();" (Might error out if the repeater is empty)
  2. Set the $alwaysArray argument for getRandom: "foreach ($page->repeater_headline_movie_text->getRandom(1, true) as $item)"
  3. Or use "$page->repeater_headline_movie_text->findRandom(1)" instead, which always returns a RepeaterPageArray
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BitPoet said:

getRandom() by default returns a single item (Repeater item in your case). So the foreach tries to iterate over that single Repeater item's properties instead of an array of items. There are three solutions:

1. Drop the foreach and just do "$item = $page->repeater_headline_movie_text->getRandom();" (Might error out if the repeater is empty)
  2. Set the $alwaysArray argument for getRandom: "foreach ($page->repeater_headline_movie_text->getRandom(1, true) as $item)"
  3. Or use "$page->repeater_headline_movie_text->findRandom(1)" instead, which always returns a RepeaterPageArray

Thanks a lot @BitPoet

Nr 3 works fine 🙂