Grigorij Schleifer

A total beginners question ..

Hello processwire community, I am a total CMS beginner and I am trying to install processwire on my mac.

I have downloaded processwire using git and loaded the location, where the files where downloaded into chrome, safary or opened the location from the terminal. No installation guide startet. I just typed the directory location into the browsers url address bar and could see all the files that were downloaded. When I tried to open installl.php file, my browser just showed me the code.

I think I am missing something trivial. Do I need to install a specific PHP version and MySQL first? Or do I need to set up an Apache server first. 

I am very thankful for every suggestion/help I can get.

Thank you

Hello @Grigorij Schleifer and welcome to the Processwire forums.

You will definitely need to install an AMP package on your mac before you will be able to run Processwire locally. (AMP = Apache, MySQL and PHP.) I personally don't use a mac so I can't advise you about the best option there - but hopefully one of our mac users will read this thread soon and join the conversation.

I am watching an old (2013) youtube tutorial and the mentor is uploading the files to a remote server/site by using an FTP client. Do I need a web host server already set up for me to work with processwire or is there a way to start playing around with the software locally?

I am having difficulties understanding the following "Simply extract the ProcessWire files to an http accessible location and load the URL in your web browser"

Any ideas?

Thanks again

33 minutes ago, Grigorij Schleifer said:

is there a way to start playing around with the software locally?

Yes. Install MAMP (for MAC), the free version; not MAMP Pro.

Welcome to ProcessWire and the forums.

Edited by kongondo

You don't need a web host already in place to start using pw, you do need a local server with apache,mysql and php installed as @netcarver already mentioned.
I personally use XAMMP. There are a ton of tutorials on how to setup a local environments, like this one specifically on xammp and mac.

Hey folks, amazing! I feel some puzzles start coming together. Thank you very much for your help. It is very appreciated. Will check Mr. Banas tutorial. 

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Cheers

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Nik Groningen
      Hi,
      Currently I'm developing a platform and use Processwire for some of the backend. Everything is working very well on localhost, but the installation on namecheap does not complete. I've read some comments on this forum that mentioned hosting on namecheap (without mentioning issues). 
      Attached is a screenshot of the last step of the installation. It looks very similar to the problem mentioned in this thread: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/15516-processwire-do-not-complete-installation/. Unfortunately, this didn't help me. I also attached a picture of the server. In the error_log, i do get some error messages related to includes and requires like:
      [18-Jun-2020 03:42:32 America/New_York] PHP Fatal error:  require(): Failed opening required '/home/niklcicr/public_html/wire/config.php' (include_path='.:/opt/alt/php56/usr/share/pear:/opt/alt/php56/usr/share/php') in /home/niklcicr/public_html/wire/core/ProcessWire.php on line 1199
      On the last screen, the console outputs a internal server error 500.
      That's what I tried: Installation on another server (freeinfinity) and it worked fine, installation on another namecheap account (did not work), and I adjusted the .htaccess file according to other threads in this forum that had similar problems (did not work).
      Is there anyone who got Processwire to work on namecheap hosting or can point me in the right direction? 
      Thanks in advance,
      Nik

• By mushmush45
      Hi, 
      Could anyone advise me on the following system requirements, which I am missing for ProcessWire installation:
      DO (pdo_mysql) is required (for MySQL database)
      Fail: GD 2.0 or newer  Fail: JSON support ZipArchive support was not found. This is recommended, but not required to complete installation.    
    • By flydev 👊🏻
      Hi mac users 🙂

As the title say, which window manager are you using as an alternative to Finder ? I was used to do everything with Path Finder since version 6, but the version 8 is too bugged to feel good giving a buck on their app again 😩
      I tried today Commander One, but it lack too much productive functionalities, stuck to two panels, no sync..

Thanks.
    • By neosin
      During the install process I can never get to Step 4 for setting up an admin account.
      It creates the database and in the screen it shows it installed the database and imported the SQL
      and under that it shows "Profile Import" but nothing else.
      I have the same result with master & dev branch.
      I looked in the database and do not see a user table of any kind, unless it has some other name than "users"
    • By godmok
      Hi everyone,
      I can't get my head around this, so maybe someone can help: I want to know how install the dev branch of processwire with composer.
      I use laragon and the "quick create" function and there you can run composer like this: "composer create-project processwire/processwire %s". OK, this is working, so I will get the master branch from it, but how about dev? I found some examples for laravel on this question, but no luck with it. Here some examples:
      composer create-project processwire/processwire %s --prefer-dist --stability=dev composer create-project processwire/processwire:dev %s composer create-project processwire/processwire:dev %s --stability=dev composer create-project processwire/processwire:dev %s --prefer-dist --stability=dev composer create-project processwire/processwire:dev-master %s --prefer-dist --stability=dev composer create-project processwire/processwire:dev-branch %s --prefer-dist --stability=dev composer create-project processwire/processwire:@dev %s --prefer-dist --stability=dev and so on... Maybe someone got this already and would like to share?