Low bandwidth site on subdomain — how best to achieve with PW?

humanafterall

Hi,

I'm looking at how I might achieve the following with Processwire:

A low-bandwidth version of a website, on a subdomain (eg text.mydomain.com), where the content/database is exactly the same as the top level domain, but a new set of templates is used so the site is stripped back to just very simple CSS/low quality images.

I'm looking and trying to work out what might be best — is it multi-site from the same database? Multi-instance? API? 

Any guidance or experience of a similar setup would be much appreciated.

Hi @humanafterall.

Have you read this information https://processwire.com/docs/more/multi-site-support/

By the way, you can use urlSegments to output low-bandwidth version of the pages. For example site.com/some-page/low/ where site.com/some-page/ is normal page and site.com/some-page/low/ is low-bandwidth. It's just an idea, but I think that this one is easier to implement and support.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zeka said:

Hi @humanafterall.

Have you read this information https://processwire.com/docs/more/multi-site-support/

By the way, you can use urlSegments to output low-bandwidth version of the pages. For example site.com/some-page/low/ where site.com/some-page/ is normal page and site.com/some-page/low/ is low-bandwidth. It's just an idea, but I think that this one is easier to implement and support.

Yeh, I think the best option here is a site from the same database but I'm then a little unsure on how everything would get mirrored ie. someone creates a page/deletes on the 'master' site, how that would then be created/deleted on the low bandwidth version.

Also I'm slightly wary of basing this production site off a plugin that seems to be a bit old and unsupported.

But... urlSegments to the rescue! ? This sounds like the perfect solution and totally negates a more complex solution on a subdomain.

Only thing I can see complicating matters here is it's a multilingual site. So will need to make sure urlSegments + multilingual setup plays nicely together.