Get ready to party!

psy

This site has been a long time in the making.

Back story:

• Was first developed in PW 2.something many years ago.
  • Around 5yrs ago, it underwent a major upgrade. The look was very 90's and the booking page had around 50 input fields on the one page. See screenshots.
  • Original dev, who did a great job with web technology at the time, went AWOL
  • Business was sold to a new owner
  • New owner engaged me to revamp the site. I laugh & laugh & laugh. If only I knew then what I know now!
  • It was crucial that the years of historical data be kept and accessible
  • Busy period is November to February (Aussie summer).
  • And then came COVID. Victoria was the state hardest hit with C19 in Australia and lockdowns were harsh. Definitely no parties.
  • The possible product configurations, hire rates & rules (all with 'except for this one') had me melt into a puddle at times.
  • Pricing is shown on product pages only when a valid venue postcode & event date entered and can change depending on the surface type (eg concrete attracts a $50 surcharge)
  • One of the biggest things that tripped me up was the previous dev combined data/module logic with presentation HTML. I had to rewrite all the old code to adapt to the new layout. Would have been much easier to have logic & presentation separated.

A while ago I chose to stop using CSS frameworks to dig deep into how CSS really works. Much of what I have learnt is in the site frontend code. The site is fully responsive and the only JS used is on the View Booking page when a customer alters the booking item qty. There is NO frontend presentation JS, including the dropdown & mobile menus.

Where it stands today:

• There are still some things to do, including implementing a very sensible change recommended by @ryan.
  • In addition to the frontend, there are a number of new backend/admin reports
  • Victoria is coming out of C19 hell and getting back to normal
  • The site is live and online bookings are rolling in

New modules added:
ProCache
FormBuilder + StripePayment + Page Break
CampaignMonitorAPI
ProFields - Functional Fields
ProFields - Repeater Matrix
RockMarkup2
Database Backups
Upgrades
SeoMaestro
TracyDebugger
Page View Statistic

Big shout out 'Thank you' to all the PW devs who responded when I reached out for help in the forum.

Check out the new look www.aaronsamusements.com.au

Jumping-Castle-Hire-Melbourne-Hire-a-bouncy-castle-today-Aaron-s-Amusements.png

Make-a-Booking-Aaron-s-Amusements.png

• Like 11

A little more to the back story... Client's biggest target audience is children's parties hence the look. The only time I said an absolute "NO" to client was when client said use "Comic Sans" font. There are some boundaries I will not overstep! Heading font is Google 'Happy Monkey'. ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 11/27/2020 at 3:34 PM, psy said:

A little more to the back story... Client's biggest target audience is children's parties hence the look. The only time I said an absolute "NO" to client was when client said use "Comic Sans" font. There are some boundaries I will not overstep! Heading font is Google 'Happy Monkey'. ?

Client satisfaction is primary :) 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, flydev ?? said:

@psy cool website, on Safari 14.0.1 I can't get the scrollbar, didn't checked other browsers - just letting you know ?

Thanks @flydev ?? and I'll check what's happening in Safari (the new IE ?)

Edit: Scroll bar works on my MAC with Safari 14.0.1 so not sure why it's not working for you

Edited by psy
more info
  • Like 2

@flydev ?? ? 

12 hours ago, flydev ?? said:

Just checked now and the site is loading fast, with scrollbars

The home page has no caching. It's pure HTML & CSS including the gallery slider above the footer. CSS is such a powerful beast and HTML now has image lazy loading. The images in the slider, subsets of party packs, list of suburbs & featured customer love change on every page load which is a testament to the power & speed of PW

• Like 2

6 hours ago, psy said:

customer love change on every page load which is a testament to the power & speed of PW

What's the approx loading time you get in term of performance, lower than 100ms ?

What's is the server spec ?  

On 12/6/2020 at 4:36 AM, flydev ?? said:

What's the approx loading time you get in term of performance, lower than 100ms ?

What's is the server spec ?  

Lighthouse results for home page. Best practices & speed pulled down by annoying chat applet (forgot to mention that js - not my code or choice).

376199106_ScreenShot2020-12-07at10_15_47am.png.6f007ae4f524ae911fd40f38d7f53007.png

Not sure of server spec. Shared hosting account.

So, not under 100ms in this scenario but I'm happy when Google is happy ? 

On 12/6/2020 at 4:52 AM, Klenkes said:

Uih... there is an image missing...

Thanks for the tip. Will get image from client ? 

• Thanks 1