Using custom Page class methods on repeater items

johnstephens

Hi!

I'm using ProcessWire's ability to recognize custom Page classes, and I have added some very useful methods to my DefaultPage class.

I just tried using one of the methods on a Repeater field item and got the error saying, "Method RepeaterPage::meta_description does not exist or is not callable in this context".

Makes sense! My method is attached to DefaultPage, not RepeaterPage. That surfaces two questions:

1. How do I extend RepeaterPage? By creating a DefaultRepeaterPage.php file in the /site/classes directory?
  2. What is the proper way to abstract methods that I want to use for both DefaultPage and RepeaterPage, so I don't have to repeat the same code in both classes? I think I understand how to do it if they both extended the same parent class, but I don't see how that can be the case here.

Thank you in advance!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, johnstephens said:

What is the proper way to abstract methods that I want to use for both DefaultPage and RepeaterPage, so I don't have to repeat the same code in both classes? I think I understand how to do it if they both extended the same parent class, but I don't see how that can be the case here.

Not sure if "the most proper" but one way I can think of is creating a module that adds the required methods/properties through hooks and just reuse the same method for both hooks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, johnstephens said:

I hope I can figure out extending RepeaterPage first. ?

I hope someone could shine some light if something like this is possible (don't know if you tried it?):

CustomRepeaterPage extends RepeaterPage { ... }

What I do a  lot is on site/ready.php

$wire->addHookMethod("RepeaterPage:newMethod", function(){ ..  })

• Like 2

20 hours ago, elabx said:

I hope someone could shine some light if something like this is possible (don't know if you tried it?):

class CustomRepeaterPage extends RepeaterPage { /* … */ }

I tried that, and I tried DefaultRepeaterPage too, placing them both in the /site/classes directory like my custom DefaultPage class which works. Alas, calling my Repeater field content still instantiates ProcessWire\RepeaterPage.

I may try your addHookMethod() suggestion shortly. Thanks for the tip!

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...