Feedback on performance

michelangelo

Hello guys,

I have been using ProcessWire for a while now and I really got to like it. However, I don't know how well I am building my websites. Recently I worked on a website with quite a few images and videos, where I noticed a bit of slow performance. Is anybody willing to take a look and tell me if I am doing wrong something wrong.

Thanks!

First off - nice looking site. Well done.

Now there are some technical things you can - Google Lighthouse complains about slow sever response and cache policy on static assets for example, but honestly those aren't anything to worry about compared to optimising your media files.

For example, I just took one of the video clips (despina_clip_06.mp), which is currently 3.6Mb, and reencoded it using some defaults in Handbrake and it came back at 700Kb. That's much more like the size I'd expect for 3 seconds of video, and honestly it looks fine. I'm sure with a bit of tweaking of pixel dimensions and frame rates and so on you could get it down even further.

The same goes for the images. I just took a sample image that was 760kb, and after resaving it and running it through ImageOptim it came back as 44kb. You'll find that if you're using double size images like this you can actually apply quite a lot of compression and still get good looking images.

I've attached a side by side comparision ... although obvioustly that's been compressed so take it with a pinch of salt.

comparison.thumb.jpg.3cceea10a0a1f8e0423262e9531d63a8.jpg

I know that designers (and I suspect your film makers) will want to keep quality as high as possible; That might be noticeable on their fancy Macs with 4K displays but most users won't notice the difference in quality but will definitely notice the difference in download speed. You can always go ahead and recompress the files and see if they notice (bet they wont...).

s.

• Like 2

Hey @millipedia, thank you for the kind words and suggestions. I will suggest to the clients to use compression when uploading media to the website.
One more thing I can ask: did you get error 500 sometimes? I got it a few times and wasn't sure what might cause it. Perhaps I misconfigured the ProcessWire?

36 minutes ago, michelangelo said:

I will suggest to the clients to use compression when uploading media to the website.

This will only work however if you're not further processing the media (images). If you're using processwire's image api for creating variants, then they shouldn't compress things before uploading, as tightly compressed files tend to produce heavier variants than less optimized ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1