Aimeos e-commerce and Processwire?

Kiwi Chris

E-commerce is probably one of Processwire's weakest points in terms of a quick, ready to go integration, although hopefully that will change when Padloper 2 is released, but I was doing some browsing and came across a PHP e-commerce platform Aimeos https://aimeos.org/docs/latest/developer/architecture/ that grabbed my attention with this quote:

Contrary to other e-commerce systems, Aimeos is first of all no stand-alone software. Instead, it can be used with any PHP framework or existing application where it can be integrated as native package.

Has anyone had any experience with it? 

I'm trying to work out how it would need to be integrated, (currently it supports Laravel, Symfony, and Typo3 off the shelf), but if there's an off-the-shelf open source e-commerce package that can be integrated relatively easily with Processwire, that would be nice.

• Like 2

I have played around just a little with Aimeos for Symfony. It is very fast. I have not looked at their API's, but it looks like you can use a JSON API to fetch products on your PW front end and manipulate a basket as well.  It looks like there is an admin API as well for manipulating products, but not orders (maybe I overlooked it). So I think you will end up working in the Processwire CMS for all your regular content and work in the Aimeos backend for everything sales related. Which may or may not be acceptable to you. The benefit is that for the e-commerce side, you have something dedicated and more robust than a pure PW solution.

Have you looked it Sylius? It is build from the ground up to be extended and modified. Based on Symfony. I have installed and modified it and it looks like a superb e-commerce package to me. It will not be 'easy' to integrate these solutions with PW, however.

There is also Shopware. This has a beautiful backend plus it comes with pretty solid content management from what I can tell, so you may not even need Processwire.

I hope this helps a little. Having worked with Padloper for a few extensive e-commerce projects, I would not use it again unless the shop is very basic. So I share your urge to plugin a dedicated e-commerce solution, but it may not make sense.

• Like 1

I currently manage a webshop with 225k products from around 60 suppliers and few millions of euros in yearly sales. 

I will share a bit from my experience, the issues I encountered and the facts you will want to consider before you start picking your solution. 

Self or Client Questionnaire 

1.  What is the max number of products your shop will have in 5 years from now? based on that you will need yo explain and educate the client why he will need an erp or pim software. 

2. How many supplies you estimate that you will have and how they deliver the data. how often the product data is updated?

3. Whats is the monthly /yearly marketing budget?  (Looking for only long term partnerships, I usually avoid signing a DEV& SEO contract with someone who has no idea of their marketing budget. It might sound crazy... but there is a clear view that your client will have enormous SEO expectations with No or limited budget. 

Main Issues : 
- each supplier comes with their products in a different template, filetype and the way they notify their resellers about the price updates.

- for a big shop you will always want to work with a product information management (PIM) software. Are you ready to build your own PIM? 

- in order to increase your sales you will always want to send your products feed to site like amazon, google shopping etc... are you ready to invest and develop those solutions?

- most of the shops are required to be connected with an ERP solution and at the end of the day you will need to make those systems to work together as much as possible. SHOP-ERP-PIM and resellers websites if any.

My advice is to choose the only solution that is stable, capable and really secure. The multitude of plugins in store its always a plus and i will always like to pay 200$ on a good plugin than to develop it from scratch with a final cost of 2k. 

Please don’t try to reinvent the weel !!! Give yourself the luxury to work on marketing and SEO.
Increasing your sales and google rankings are the only things that really matters at the end. 
Good luck! 

• Like 4