[SOLVED] Problem with page-names in Greek

Hello everyone.

I'm having some issues with Greek as default language, because the page name is not created automatically when enter the title of a new page. 

Any chance to add support for it?

I found this char mapping that might help on line 188

https://github.com/elpak/Greeklish-permalink-wordpress/blob/master/greeklish-permalink/greeklish-permalinks.php

Thank you!

unknown.png

[EDIT]: A solution

This was easier than we thought, we managed to find a solution by looking at how the sanitizer of page names works. 

This is how the URL looks with this solution:

proof_of_concept.thumb.png.f708cca75c1806bdf88d1231bc1247b3.png

For ProcessWire 3+ (what we tested) find Modules > Core > InputfieldPageName and under the “Character Replacements” Field you can add the mapping you would like.

unknown.thumb.png.257b9e0d0a39f3040985351327807fbd.png

The replacement is not in the Core yet, so adding it for reference. The mapping is adjusted and simplified, and it follows the official Transliteration found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Greek
α=a
ά=a
β=b
γ=g
δ=d
ε=e
έ=e
ζ=z
η=i
ή=i
θ=th
ι=i
ί=i
κ=k
λ=l
μ=m
ν=n
ξ=x
ο=o
ό=o
π=p
ρ=r
σ=s
ς=s
τ=t
υ=y
ύ=y
ϋ=y
φ=f
χ=ch
ψ=ps
ω=o
ώ=o

Cheers to @PWaddict for also supplying an unofficial mapping and pointing us to the right direction 

@ryan It would be great if this would be added to the Core sometime in the future and we can assist with further official mappings that are not present in this simplified version.

Thank you!

Cheers,

Elissavet from CrowdLand

Edited by Crowdland Technology
Adding a solution

Hi all, greetings!

OK another solution, adding here so I don't make the original post too long.

So it turns out our client needs, except default language as Greek, also true Greek URLs not only "Greeklish" (as Greek in ascii chars was "baptized" before the UTF-8 wide adoption, from Greek+English). 

The great thing is that @ryan took care of that as shown here https://processwire.com/blog/posts/page-name-charset-utf8/

It requires ProcessWire 3.0.12+ as explained in the article, so if you're stuck with older versions for any reason, you can use the solution on the original post.

We implemented already and it seems to work as expected on the testing server, still testing though. 

The Greek char mapping is absent from the Core still so adding here the steps we followed (retracing steps from above blog post, adding the Greek chars)

1. Add the following to your /site/config.php file.

$config->pageNameCharset = 'UTF8';

$config->pageNameWhitelist = '-_.abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789æåäßöüđжхцчшщюяàáâèéëêěìíïîõòóôøùúûůñçčćďĺľńňŕřšťýžабвгдеёзийклмнопрстуфыэęąśłżźαάβγδεέζηήθιίϊκλμνξοόπρσςτυύφχψώω';

2. In your .htaccess

Locate directive 16a (near the bottom of the file) and comment it out by placing a # at the beginning of the line. What we are doing here is disabling the .htaccess limit on only allowing ASCII URLs to pass through to ProcessWire.

Below the above directive (16a), you'll see directive 16b, which contains the alternative to the one you just commented out. Un-comment that directive by removing the # from the beginning of the line that it is on. This is what it looks like (minus the line wrapping): (ADDING HERE THE GREEK CHARS)

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} "^/~?[-_./a-zA-Z0-9æåäßöüđжхцчшщюяàáâèéëêěìíïîõòóôøùúûůñçčćďĺľńňŕřšťýžабвгдеёзийклмнопрстуфыэęąśłżźαάβγδεέζηήθιίϊκλμνξοόπρσςτυύφχψώω]*$"

This is what the names and URLs look now:

greek_names_utf-8.thumb.jpg.6d49f932e245ac99488ea35120780b57.jpg

Cheers,

Elissavet from Crowdland

• Like 1