Markup regions template strategy. Is this normal?

saleo

Hello, I'm using the Markup regions template strategy https://processwire.com/docs/front-end/output/markup-regions/

I noticed that any code at the beginning of the source file is executed twice. For example

<?php namespace ProcessWire;

echo "TEST<br>"
?>
<main id="main" pw-append>

</main>

will output the word "TEST" twice.

Is this normal behavior? Maybe @ryan can shed some light?

Thank you

Leo

I don't know the exact reason why your "TEST<br>" line is output twice, but what you're doing there is not correct usage of Markup Regions.

The docs explain that when using Markup Regions you set...

$config->appendTemplateFile = '_main.php';

...so that every template file will append the markup contained in _main.php. And...

This _main.php file is where your main document HTML markup will be contained, from <!DOCTYPE html> to </html> and everything in between, which is where regions will be defined.

This means that all the markup that is in a template file will be output before the <html> tag that is in _main.php. Of course that would normally be invalid HTML because no markup should occur before the opening <html> tag. But as the docs explain...

How it works (technical detail)

• Any markup output before the <html> tag (beginning of an HTML document) is considered to contain region actions – tags that will populate or modify regions.

• Any markup output after the <html> tag is considered to contain region definitions – tags that can be populated and/or modified by the region actions.

So all the markup in a template file should correspond to a matching region that is defined in _main.php, so that when Markup Regions parses the output it can relocate the markup in the template file into the corresponding regions defined in _main.php. If you have markup in a template file that does not correspond to a region in _main.php then Markup Regions is not going to be able to make sense of it, and that is what's happening with your "TEST<br>" line.

To confirm you can enable debugging for Markup Regions and it will alert you to problems: https://processwire.com/docs/front-end/output/markup-regions/#debugging-regions

2020-10-01_101509.png.87ef1893e58be54237536161cd0756c1.png

• Like 1

You're right, but I only used the echo code to make the problem more obvious. In fact, initially I noticed the problem when I saw that a call to Aws was executed twice.
So I'm wondering if it is possible to insert any code in the opening section of the template file, without it being executed twice?

On 10/1/2020 at 2:55 PM, saleo said:

So I'm wondering if it is possible to insert any code in the opening section of the template file, without it being executed twice?

As @Robin S explained, there is no reason to echo anything in a context like that. If you just put any other PHP code there, that will not be executed twice (at least it should not do that for sure). Only echo() is what gets executed twice but it should not even happen once, meaning not calling echo() is the "solution". I have sites with various code being executed in that context, none of them runs twice.

• Like 2