Release: Marine admin theme

Nico Knoll

Very nice Nico. I like how clean it is, and the background color relative to the white inputfield boxes is pretty. My first thought was "where are the breadcrumbs?", but then I figured out it was in the footer. It's a nice variation and actually looks great. Though I'm having a little trouble with it in Chrome just because Chrome uses that space to display live messages (loading type messages, etc), which initially masked that the breadcrumbs were there. Still it might just be a matter of getting used to it. But I'd probably find it more usable to have the breadcrumbs at the top rather than the bottom. I'm not suggesting you change it, because that's just subjective on my part. However, the one thing I ran into that you may want to change is the foreground color for when rolling over an asmSelect list (see attached screenshot). Also, please add to the modules directory when you get a chance. Thanks for the nice work here.

post-2-0-62930100-1356625258_thumb.png

Nico, one other minor point. I'm having a little trouble differentiating the numChildren quantities in the Page List from the page titles, just because the font and color appear to be the same between them (as in your first screenshot). As a result, I'd recommend a minor tweak of making the quantity number visually different in some way. Usually, I've just made this number appear a light grey to differentiate it.

Very nice Nico!! Love where you are going with this!

There's a problem you might want to solve with longer usernames

post-88-0-78755600-1356694554_thumb.png

I understand why you put the breadcrumbs on the bottom (I usually sweep them under the sofa), but I agree with Ryan, and besides the chrome problem, it makes them a bit invisible also.

What if you would bring it inside the main div?

post-88-0-55135900-1356695033_thumb.png

good work Nico.

I just tweaked the breacrumb for myself, I use the breadcrumb really often and so I moved it to the top.

For those interested.

Open the main.css in /templates-admin/styles

Search #main

add: margin-top:32px;

Search nav

add: margin-top:32px;

Search #breadcrumb

change: bottom:0px to top:0px;

• Like 1

Hi Nico,

Was working with your theme and noticed it doesn't have a "modal" version yet. An exampleof where this shows up is if you got to Setup > Templates then edit a template. If you then click on the name of a field in the list of fields it gives you a modal view of the admin interface to quickly change the field in place.

I think you'd just need to add a conditional to check for "modal=1" in the querystring and not output the nav and breadcrumb elements.

-Brent

• Like 1

Another way to approach the modal option is to just add an extra class to your body tag when it detects modal:

<body class="<?php if(input->get->modal) echo "modal"; ?>">

Then just hide the elements you don't want on the modal view:

body.modal #sidebar {
 display: none;
}
  • Like 1

Super nice! Some comments:

• The "children count" on the page tree could be a bit lighter in color to differentiate it from the page's name.
  • The standard greenish button doesn't look as modern and "popping" as the rest of the theme. I think the standard web browser button actually looks better (at least in Safari/Chrome).
  • Not sure I like the Processwire-logo link. I see the admin as something strictly tied to my site which makes external links feel weird. Maybe the link could go to the "pages" page, instead - since this is your typical admin home page.
  • Hidden pages in the page tree doesn't look hidden with that green color. Try using a lighter version of the color from the "not hidden" pages.
  • Foldable boxes doesn't look foldable. Maybe position the "folding arrow" to the left of the box's title instead of to the far right.
  • There's no active state on the submenu buttons inside a page (Content, Children, Settings, Delete, etc). This menu doesn't really look like a menu, but more of a content box. Maybe make it more similar to the sidebar in styling?
  • A "View Site" button in the upper right corner would be nice.

I really like where you're going with this! I'll keep an eye on Marine's future releases.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Nico,

I am totally using this already on two sites, but…

Have you tried this with $config->debug turned on? It appends debug result under the mainframe, so you have effectively two body sliders - one on the content (next to sidebar, above breadcrumbs), and one for the whole page, because with debug info it's longer than 100%.

Just letting you know.

P.S.: Some solutions: If it's possible, you could control where the debug output is and push it in your div for content. Or, based on $config->debug, you could turn off some CSS styles and just let it grow naturally.

• 4 months later...

Nico, just updated the theme, cosmetic changes as requested by "woop". Pull request at github.

* give the hidden pages an italic style and a lighter shade
* lighten the shade of the children page count

k97z.jpg

* Added active state style for the submenu buttons

6krz.jpg

• Like 4