Restoring Server Files resulting in 403

creativejay

Not entirely sure what happened (I'm blaming a mouse with a low battery for grabbing the wrong folder in the middle of a file drag, it's all I can think of), but we noticed our entire site directory was missing earlier today (resulting in a 500 error).

I restored it using Server Rewind via cPanel, but am now getting a new error:

"You don't have permission to access this resource.Server unable to read htaccess file, denying access to be safe

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

The .htaccess file is there. I've also restored from an older backup and replaced the /site and /wire folders with no change.

Anyone ever deal with this error and know how I can fix it?

4 hours ago, creativejay said:

You don't have permission to access this resource.

1. Did you confirm file permissions are OK after the restoration? The restoration could have run as a user in a different user group?
  2. Is ProcessWire able to read and write where it needs to?
  3. Check the server errors logs for more details about what 'this resource is'. What file/folder is it pointing to?

16 hours ago, kongondo said:
  1. Did you confirm file permissions are OK after the restoration? The restoration could have run as a user in a different user group?
  2. Is ProcessWire able to read and write where it needs to?
  3. Check the server errors logs for more details about what 'this resource is'. What file/folder is it pointing to?

I did. It turned out to be a setting on the webhost's end and they were able to fix it. Thanks! Sorry for taking up space here, but I was in a bit of a panic.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kongondo said:

Glad you got it sorted!

Are you able to elaborate more so we can all learn from it? Thanks.

Thanks!

Somehow the directory associated with a domain on our hosting account was deleted (still not clear on how that happened), resulting in a 500 error when visiting the site. I restored the folder and all its contents, which only rewarded us with a 403 error as I described in my original post.

When I reached out to my host's support, they said "Reviewing, it looks like the ownership of the folder was not correct. We adjusted this and the website is now online."

Hopefully that helps if anyone else's directories randomly go missing! Wish I knew how it happened.

• Like 1