Module: FacebookLike

almonk

Hi guys,

Made this very simple module to add Facebook like buttons to pages, posts, whatever you fancy.

Find the public gist here:

https://gist.github.com/1004219

Once you've installed the module, it's very easy to use in your templates:

<div class="page">
<h1><?=$page->title?></h1>
<h3><?=$page->created?></h3>
<?=$page->body?>

<?
$like = $modules->get('FacebookLike'); 
$like->url = $page->url;
$like->render();
?>
</div>

Easy.

There's a huge amount of room for improvement, but I thought it'd be worth sharing.

Cheers,

Al

Looks good! Thanks for putting this together and sharing it here.

I have two minor suggestions:

Make is so that setting the page URL is optional, and it defaults to the current page if you don't set it.

Have your render() function return the value rather than echoing it directly. One of the concepts with PW is that nothing sends any output, except your template. This is just for practical reasons, since PW templates can be used as controllers to populate other templates/views/includes, etc. That way your template can decide whether to echo or store the result for later output.

public function ___render() {
    if(!$this->url) $this->url = $this->page->url;
    return '<iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href='.$this->url.'&layout='.$this->layout.'&show_faces='.$this->showFaces.'&width='.$this->width.'&action=like&font='.$this->font.'&colorscheme=light&height='.$this->height.'" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none; overflow:hidden; width:'.$this->width.'px; height:'.$this->height.'px;" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>';
}

With the above change, you could decide to skip the URL setting part, and you'd have to echo or store the output:

echo $modules->get('FacebookLike')->render();

What's funny is that I just had a client ask for a like button, so your new module arrived at the perfect time and I will definitely use it. Thanks!

Almonk, thanks for the updates. If I make any changes to the module, I'll be sure to fork. Regarding modules, it looks to me like you've got a pretty good handle on it. But once I get through the 2.1/2.2 updates I'm going to write a full module guide, as this is currently not well covered in the online documentation (other than lots of examples in the forums).

Thanks,

Ryan