basic auth on specific set of URLs

j-w

Because of specific requirements I need to enable basic auth, but only on a subset of URLs. For this I want to use a location directive in the .htaccess file. Unfortunately I don't manage to enforce basic auth only on specific URL. Regardless of the URL in the location directive, basic auth will be active. As a simple test I tried adding:

<Location "/urlthatshouldneverevershowup">
  AuthType basic
  AuthName "webhook"
  AuthBasicProvider file
  AuthUserFile /myauthfile
  Require valid-user
</Location>

but an access to e.g. /helloworld will automatically prompt the user/password prompt and deny access.

I tried adding this directive at the beginning, at the end of www/.htaccess (which is pretty much he default PW .htaccess file) as well as in a www/site/.htaccess file, but with no success.
Is there something in the PW configuration that messes with my directive? Or is there something in my directive that's wrong?

Welcome to the PW forums @j-w!

The thing you're asking about doesn't relate to PW as such - it's more an Apache question. As far as I know there isn't anything in the PW htaccess that would prevent you from using basic auth.

I don't think you can use <Location> in htaccess - that has to go in your virtual hosts config file. If you want to use htaccess then this Stack Overflow answer might help (it worked for me when I tested it): https://stackoverflow.com/a/14605066/1036672

Or see the answer to the same question for a virtual hosts example: https://stackoverflow.com/a/26980313/1036672 

• Like 2