PageViewStatistic for ProcessWire

tcnet

Page View Statistic for ProcessWire is a module to log page views of the CMS. The records including some basic information like IP-address, browser, operating system, requested page and originate page. This module doesn't claim to be the best or most accurate.

Advantages
One of the biggest advantage is that this module doesn't require any external service like Google Analytics or similar. You don't have to modify your templates either. There is also no Javascript or image required.

Disadvantages
There is only one disadvantage. This module doesn't record visits if the browser loads the page from its browser cache. To prevent the browser from loading the page from its cache, add the following meta tags to the header of your page:

<meta http-equiv="Cache-Control" content="no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate" />
<meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache" />
<meta http-equiv="Expires" content="0" />

How to use
The records can be accessed via the Setup-menu of the CMS backend. The first dropdown control changes the view mode.

view-mode.jpg

Detailed records
View mode "Detailed records" shows all visits of the selected day individually with IP-address, browser, operating system, requested page and originate page. Click the update button to see new added records.

detailed-records.jpg

Cached visitor records
View modes other than "Detailed records" are cached visitor counts. Cached visitor records are collected on a daily basis from the detailed records. This approach is new in version 1.0.8 and ensures fast display even with many records. Another advantage is that the detailed records can be deleted while the cache remains. The cache can be updated manually or automatically in a specified time period. Multiple visits from the same IP address on the same day are counted as a single visitor.

cached-visitor-records.jpg

Upgrade from older versions
Cached visitor counts is new in version 1.0.8. If you just upgraded from an older version you might expire a delay or even an error 500 if you display cached visitor counts. The reason for this is that the cache has to be created from the records. This can take longer if your database contains many records. Sometimes it might hit the maximally execution time. Don't be worry about that and keep reloading the page until the cache is completely created.

Upgrades in general
It seems that the upgrade function don't get called after an upgrade. This might be a bug in ProcessWire. This can lead to an error message ("Unknown column...") if you try to open the statistic page immediately after an upgrade. There are two ways to avoid this error message. Click the "Continue to module settings" button directly after the upgrade or open the Modules page and click the "Refresh" button.

Time of view
This module can record the time a visitor viewed the page. This feature is deactivated by default. To activate open the module configuration page and activate "Record view time". If activated you will find a new column (S.) in the records which means the time of view in seconds. With every page request, a Javascript code is added directly after the <body> tag. Every time the visitor switches to another tab or closes the tab, this script reports the number of seconds the tab was visible. The initial page request is recorded only as a hyphen (-).

time-of-view.jpg

Execution time
Starting with version 1.1.9 this module records the PHP execution time from the initialization of the module till the HTML output in seconds.

spacer.png

Settings
You can access the module settings by clicking the Configuration button at the bottom of the records page. The settings page is also available in the menu: Modules->Configure->ProcessPageViewStat.

IP2Location
This module uses the IP2Location database from: http://www.ip2location.com. This database is required to obtain the country from the IP address. IP2Location updates this database at the begin of every month. The settings of ProcessPageViewStat offers the ability to automatically download the database monthly. Please note, that automatically download will not work if your webspace doesn't allow allow_url_fopen.

Dragscroll
This module uses DragScroll, a JavaScript available from: http://github.com/asvd/dragscroll. Dragscroll adds the ability in view mode "Day" to drag the records horizontally with the mouse pointer.

PhpUserAgent
This module uses PhpUserAgent available from: https://github.com/donatj/PhpUserAgent. PhpUserAgent is required to filter out the browser type and platform from the server request.

New in version 1.1.0
A new feature in version 1.1.0 offers the possibility to record user names of logged in visitors. Just activate "Record user names" and "Record loggedin user" in the module settings.

New in version 1.1.3
A new feature in version 1.1.3 offers an internal WHOIS function. In the module settings you can switch between internal and external WHOIS.

spacer.png

New in version 1.1.4
Detailed records can now be exported as CSV-file. The file contains all data of the specified date regardless of the pagination. The button is located at the bottom of the page.

New in version 1.1.8
The UserAgentParser was exchanged with PhpUserAgent due to some complaints.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, bernhard said:

Hi @tcnet,

welcome to the forum, great first post ?? Do you have any screenshots to share how the statistics look like?

Hello and Thank You!

Of course I've some screenshots. I wasn't sure if these screenshots were appropriate to show here. I've made IP addresses unrecognizable.

view-mode-day.jpg

view-mode-month.jpg

view-mode-year.jpg

view-mode-total.jpg

time-of-view.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, kongondo said:

Welcome to the forums @tcnet. Thanks for this module. 

Is there any reason you decided to host the module on your servers rather than on GitHub, GitLab or similar? 

Usually I don't work with GitHub. But if you insist and as soon as I've enough time, I'll upload it to GitHub, GitLab or something similar.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Karinne Cyphers said:

Thank you for this module.  I'm seeing this error after install:

image.thumb.png.26b930a7935d26e2c23b881ac814c8a6.png

As far as I know, FieldtypeDatetime is installed by default in ProcessWire. Did you uninstalled FieldtypeDatetime or deleted the "datetime" field type?

1 hour ago, kongondo said:

That will be great, thanks. It just makes it easier for people to fork, play around with, submit PRs, rollback to older versions, etc. ? 

Sorry. I tried it. But cannot upload on GitHub.

7 hours ago, tcnet said:

Sorry. I tried it. But cannot upload on GitHub.

Oh, I see. Do you have a GitHub account? Are you using some sort of version control, e.g. git? 

Hey, if it's too much of a bother, don't worry yourself. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, kongondo said:

Oh, I see. Do you have a GitHub account? Are you using some sort of version control, e.g. git? 

Hey, if it's too much of a bother, don't worry yourself. Thanks.

I don't use any versions controlling. I just created an account on GitHub a few hours ago.
See: https://github.com/techcnet/ProcessPageViewStat

But file oploading with browser don't work in GitHub. It's not a problem with the browser. I tried Chrome and Firefox. It's a problem with the upload on GitHub.

I also tried GitLab. When I click the + to create a new project I get a white blank page. My browsers are ok. Seems to me they don't want any users.

29 minutes ago, tcnet said:

I don't use any versions controlling.

I really recommend that you do. Sooner or later you will need older versions of something and it will be a pain to rebuild (and various other reasons why one should try and use some versioning system, invariably git). 

29 minutes ago, tcnet said:

But file oploading with browser don't work in GitHub.

What IDE do you use for you coding? VSCode? The easier way is to using cloning, then push your changes from your local repository. So:

1. Assuming you use VSCode, open the editor and CLONE your repository (using this url https://github.com/techcnet/ProcessPageViewStat.git)
  2. It will want to clone to an empty directory. You can temporarily rename the directory where your module files are to ProcessPageViewStat2
  3. Let VSCode clone your empty repo to /site/modules/ProcessPageViewStat. It will copy the files from your project in GitHub and create a .git file. Your files will be ready for tracking.
  4. Once that's done, in your file explorer (e.g. windows explorer if on Windows), copy the local module files that you have in ProcessPageViewStat2 to the new ProcessPageViewStat
  5. VSCode will tell you that you have added new files. You can then PUSH the CHANGES to your repository. To do that, the first time, VSCode will guide you through authenticating yourself to GitHub as you are the only one with PUSH privileges.

Sorry, I am in a bit of a rush. I suggest you have a look at a tutorial about the basics of git or maybe just the basics of GitHub/git and VSCode.

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, kongondo said:

I really recommend that you do. Sooner or later you will need older versions of something and it will be a pain to rebuild. 

What IDE do you use for you coding? VSCode? The easier way is to using cloning, the push your changes from your local repository. So:

1. Assuming you use VSCode, open the editor and CLONE your repository (using this url https://github.com/techcnet/ProcessPageViewStat.git)
  2. It will want to clone to an empty directory. You can temporarily rename the directory where your module files are to ProcessPageViewStat2
  3. Let VSCode clone your empty repo to /site/modules/ProcessPageViewStat. It will copy the files from your project in GitHub and create a .git file. Your files will be ready for tracking.
  4. Once that's done, in your file explorer (e.g. windows explorer if on Windows), copy the local module files that you have in ProcessPageViewStat2 to the new ProcessPageViewStat
  5. VSCode will tell you that you have added new files. You can then PUSH the CHANGES to your repository. To do that, the first time, VSCode will guide you through authenticating yourself to GitHub as you are the only one with PUSH privileges.

Sorry, I am in a bit of a rush. I suggest you have a look at a tutorial about the basics of git or maybe just the basics of GitHub/git and VSCode.

For some reason, GitHub/git will never be an option for me. Don't laugh, but for PHP I only use a text editor with highlighting. I'll try VSCode next week. Thank you for your explanation.

5 minutes ago, tcnet said:

For some reason, GitHub/git will never be an option for me

I wish I could convince you otherwise ? 

6 minutes ago, tcnet said:

Don't laugh, but for PHP I only use a text editor with highlighting

I won't...been there, done that.

10 hours ago, tcnet said:

As far as I know, FieldtypeDatetime is installed by default in ProcessWire. Did you uninstalled FieldtypeDatetime or deleted the "datetime" field type?

10 hours ago, Karinne Cyphers said:

Thank you for this module.  I'm seeing this error after install:

image.thumb.png.26b930a7935d26e2c23b881ac814c8a6.png

WAIT!
$dt = new \ProcessWire\datetime(); This is NOT my code!!!
Line 532 is: $dt = new DateTime();

34 minutes ago, tcnet said:

Only for this module. Sure!

I'm quite sure it will not be the last one ? IMHO version control is critical for building and maintaining good software. It helps you in a lot of ways! For example two days ago one of my modules that uses git webhooks to auto-deploy changes via a PHP script that bootstraps PW stopped working... I checked the script - it didn't do anything after the include('index.php') statement. I thought: Maybe because of the core update... checked a clean install: Works. Then checked diabling all modules via tracy debugger... still not working. Then I looked at the logs of the script... last logged event was at 15:09 --> I checked my git repo and quickly found the problem: I added a $session->redirect() in ready.php for non-logged in users that shows a coming soon page (which obviously also redirected the git webhook request and so the script never fired). That's just one example of how useful a git workflow can be. Others are reverting code because you break something, etc, etc...

VSCode has GIT support on board. It's really easy to use! 

(watch at 1,5x speed ? )

25 minutes ago, bernhard said:

I'm quite sure it will not be the last one ?

I'm pretty sure that I can live without GIT. I've been doing very well without GIT for 20 years now and I won't change that. I usually work with VC++, Java and Pascal. PHP for me is just a kind of hobby.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kongondo said:

Probably inserted by the FileCompiler if your module is not namespaced :-). 

Version 1.0.1 doesn't have namespace. I couldn't reproduce it without namespace. But I can reproduce it with namespace. I've made changes now.

• Like 1