Localhost Setup Recommendation

NooseLadder

Hi,

I've been out of the game for a number of years (6/7). I have a few projects lined up. I used to use XAMPP on my Windows PC back then. I have a Windows 8.1 laptop atm. Is XAMPP still ok or can you recommend anything better? I used to upload files to server using FileZilla. Thanks.

Hi @NooseLadder, and welcome back!

There are a number of xampp related posts on the forum that will help get everything set up and running. You can find them searching google like this:

site:processwire.com/talk xampp

Filezilla would be used to copy (sftp) files to a production server. You might use whatever IDE you prefer to access your localhost document root until such time as you want to go live.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

I'd recommend Laragon too. And WinSCP instead of Filezilla.

If you have the budget, get a good IDE as well - my recommendation would be PHPStorm by JetBrains. In order to profit from IDE hints, you can use the pages()->find syntax instead of $pages->find (just an example - I don't have time right now to search for the docs or blog/forum posts explaining this - here it's called "API variables as a function").

You can get rid of an FTP client altogether, if you configure PHPStorm to automatically upload files upon save, which is a big time-saver.

These days, I'm sure most (all?) of JetBrains' functionality can be had with VSCode as well, but I'm not sure if there are still significant differences (probably means installing a few plugins).

• Like 2

Can anyone help with remote access to Laragon from another device? I am able to share the link from Laragon which works but each time you run a new session Laragon generates a different url example: 7676f06221b1.ngrok.io

I'm trying to find a way so that I don't have to put the new url into my phone every time.

@NooseLadder That would require a paid subscription of ngrok or a DynDNS setup,
or you could setup a local DNS server which resolves hostnames in your local network.
You could even add the static IP address of your local webservers computer to the .hosts file of your other devices (depending on the device it's possible or not).
I would recommend to open a new thread for this or search on various sites like servervault.

If you would like to test your website(s) on different devices, I would also recommend BrowserStack which I also use.

• 2 weeks later...