iPad Admin Bug

neotoxic

Hello all,

I am away at the moment and thought I would take the opportunity this morning to do a little ProcessWireing :)

I am using my iPad (original) over 3G, and mostly it works fine, my only problem is when creating new pages the site drops me out to the login screen after the first page of the new page process.

Anyone else able to replicate this problem?

FYI I am using Textastic for iPad as my code editor, and its brilliant.

I am starting to think this might be to do with the fact that I am using a 3G connection. The unexpected logging out seems to happen at odd times. I tired an alternate browser that worked fine for a while and then started to exhibit the same behaviour.

Not sure if this is a problem that is unique to me.

Not a huge issue, but with the prevalence of IOS and other mobile devices, it would be cool to have the admin system work over 3G. The light weight nature of the admin system really elands itself to mobile use, perhaps an alternate stylesheet could be employed to improve mobile usability but still it work well.

I believe mobile support for administration is currently very very low on priority scale.

I mean, I believe there isn't a system which administration supports mobile browsers, since mobile platform is meant more to consume, than to create.

But in future, I don't see why this couldn't work.

*) note: support for me means that administration is adjusted for mobile browsers, so that administration and content management is not only possible, but also natural. I think that iOS WebKit (safari) is awesome, but there needs (in my opinion) to be a lot of front-end work done, so that administration is truly mobile.

I'm thinking there is a good chance this might be it, but please let me know what you find.  Edit your /site/config.php file and change the sessionFingerprint config option to false:

<?php
/**
* sessionFingerprint: should login sessions be tied to IP and user agent? 
* More secure, but will conflict with dynamic IPs. 
*/
$config->sessionFingerprint = false; // default is true

Great! glad that fixed it. I'm guessing that 3G must place you on rotating IPs, so we can't tie the session down to a single IP (which is one of the things the sessionFingerprint option does). I didn't realize this before, so it's good to know. It might be that I should disable the sessionFingerprint by default.

I recognised its not a primary concern, but in general the Admin interface works quite well via an iPad.

The minimalist interface approach keeping things simple really helps. There are a few areas where there are things you can't do (dragging pages around the structure for example) but there majority of things work fine. Alternative mechanics could be added with a little jQuery and CSS.

A CSS file to optimise the use of space, and to increase the sized of text and buttons to improve bother readability and usability and this would be very usable. It wouldn't take much more effort then to make it work on the iPhone.

Anyone who has tried to use Wordpress's admin system on an iPhone or iPad will appreciate WP2's clean approach.

As I say however, I am not suggesting this is urgent, but it would make for a nice high impact image fro the homepage, you know, the classic Desktop / iPad / iPhone image, all proudly showing there version of the admin interface.