ProcessWire = Framework?

MatthewSchenker

Greetings,

Since I started this discussion, it's become natural for me to refer to ProcessWire as a framework.  Like heldercervantes, I was sometimes frustrated by those who assume that WP = web development.  Or when clients asked me, "How can you work without plugins?"   Or when they would say, "But if we develop a custom application, then we need to depend on you" (as if using plugins means they aren't depending on anyone!).  Or most frustrating of all, when they would say that "WordPress seems more secure because of how large its userbase is..."

But after some years of working at this, it's become a sort of litmus test for me: I know the client is a good fit for me when they understand and want someone who develops custom applications.

By the way, I can't believe this discussion was started 3.5 years ago!

Thanks,
Matthew

• 5 months later...

By the way, I can't believe this discussion was started 3.5 years ago!

This will always be an issue especially with non tech clients. Thats why you need to communicate very clear with a client about what he might need later on. Many times the client only knows what he needs today, but will call you in the future when he needs something extra. And there you have it, will you be able to cope with asked extras in the future ? Most likely there will be no processwire plugin for it like you have in wp or drupal world. Just an example, I was asked to make a website for a call center in spain, no problem there. But later on they called me if I could make the website fetch data from a server and database in germany. I dont know if there is a plugin for that with wp or drupal but with processwire if you are not a good experienced web coder it will be a no go for the client. Thats why I say in the beginning to a non tech client that they dont depend on me in the future as the only person. Any good experienced web coder can pick up processwire and code what they might need in the future.