Fieldtype Runtime Only

Robin S

This is a module that is similar in purpose to the Runtime Markup module. I made it primarily for my own use but am posting it here because I had a request to add it to the modules directory.

Fieldtype Runtime Only

Not a proper fieldtype because it doesn't save data to the database. The fieldtype only exists to provide a convenient way to add an inputfield to templates that will render some markup at runtime.

For a field named "my_field"...

• Inputfield markup will be rendered from a file at /site/templates/RuntimeOnly/my_field.php. In addition to the standard ProcessWire variables this file receives:
    • $page - the page being edited.
    • $field - the Field object.
    • $inputfield - the Inputfield object.
  • JS file /site/templates/RuntimeOnly/my_field.js will be added to admin if that file exists.
  • CSS file /site/templates/RuntimeOnly/my_field.css will be added to admin if that file exists.

Tips

If the RuntimeOnly field is used inside a Repeater field then you can get the Repeater page it is on via $inputfield->hasPage. E.g.

$repeater_page = $inputfield->hasPage;
// Use $repeater_page as needed
echo "The name of the repeater page is $repeater_page->name";

https://github.com/Toutouwai/FieldtypeRuntimeOnly
https://modules.processwire.com/modules/inputfield-runtime-only/

• Like 9

• 11 months later...

It may not be a 'proper' fieldtype, but it is very useful and a key part of my ProcessDbMigrate module.

However, I have a very slight problem which is really puzzling me. My module gets data from the database and exports to .json files (among other things). I use the standard Field::getExportData() for getting field data. The curious thing is, for certain fields, I get a different result from getExportData() depending on whether it is called from inside my module or from a RuntimeOnly script.

For example, the field phits (from the Page Hit Counter module) has visibility 'hidden' (i.e. collapsed = 4). Calling getExportData() from my module (see code below) returns the correct result.

$field = $this->wire()->fields->get('phits');
bd($field->getExportData(), 'getExportData in module class');

Calling it from with a RuntimeOnly script (see code below) returns collapsed = 0.

$field = $fields->get('phits');
bd($field->getExportData(), 'getExportData in RuntimeOnly');

See pic below for the Tracy debug:

312955781_FieldgetExportDataissueinRuntimeOnly.thumb.jpg.fa23186828b3e5d504b87e8f97326133.jpg

Examining the situation in a bit more detail shows the following:

1. Field::getExportData() calls Fieldtype::exportConfigData() viz. $typeData = $this->type->exportConfigData($this, $data); and then merges the data, viz. $data = array_merge($data, $typeData);
  2. Fieldtype::exportConfigData() calls Inputfield::exportConfigData(), viz. $data = $inputfield->exportConfigData($data);

It is the second call which returns collapsed = 0 rather than collapsed = 4. It is arguable that the array_merge should be reversed - i.e. $data = array_merge($typeData, $data); so that the generic data does not over-ride the specific - not that this really helps, as I have no idea what is causing the problem in the first place.

Any ideas? In the meantime, I guess I will need to do a work-round by trying to move the code out of the RuntimeOnly script (note that the actual code I am using is much broader than the 'phits' snippet above - I have just used that to illustrate the problem).

6 hours ago, MarkE said:

Calling it from with a RuntimeOnly script (see code below) returns collapsed = 0.

I can't reproduce that. It's showing collapsed => 4 when I dump the field in a FieldtypeRuntimeOnly render file.

2021-06-18_162817.png.a5f1f73d5699bb65b7018a99183fec65.png

This module doesn't do anything regarding inputfield visibility so I think your issue must be a general one relating to the PW API rather than specific to this module. Really all this module is doing is rendering a TemplateFile via $files->render().

One thing though... take note of the readme regarding the variables supplied to the render file:

On 6/21/2020 at 6:39 PM, Robin S said:

In addition to the standard ProcessWire variables this file receives:

• $page - the page being edited.
  • $field - the Field object.
  • $inputfield - the Inputfield object.

I don't know if it relates to your issue but I suggest you avoid overwriting the $field variable by choosing a different name for the field you are getting.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MarkE said:

a key part of my ProcessDbMigrate module.

Given how simple FieldtypeRuntimeOnly is, it might be good to avoid the dependency in your module and just render your own markup directly. I haven't looked closely at your module but it just seems like it would make sense to keep it self-contained and avoid any fragility due to the chance that FieldtypeRuntimeOnly changes in the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robin S said:

Given how simple FieldtypeRuntimeOnly is, it might be good to avoid the dependency in your module

Good idea. I used it as a shortcut. I’m just completing the planned functionality of my module, after which some tidying up will follow, so I’ll take the opportunity then.