ProcessWire Cookie Descriptions

Jason Huck

Hi,

Has anyone created descriptions for the cookies set by ProcessWire for use in privacy policies? I see two at the root level -- wires and wires_challenge. Would love not to reinvent the wheel. I could turn them off on the front end for non-admin users, but would rather have them covered in case we add features later where they are needed.

Thanks,
Jason

The wire and wires cookies are simple session-cookies. They are allowed without permission of visitors. Besides no OptIn is needed, we also do not have to provide an OptOut.

On 6/15/2020 at 9:46 PM, horst said:

The wire and wires cookies are simple session-cookies. They are allowed without permission of visitors. Besides no OptIn is needed, we also do not have to provide an OptOut.

Note that legislation may differ from country to country. For an example here in Finland one apparently still has to document the cookies, even though "necessary" ones don't require opt-in (or opt-out). IANAL etc. but that seems to be the common consensus anyway ?

Here's a rough translation of the descriptions we've been using:

• wires
    • ProcessWire session identifier.
    • First-party session cookie, expires when the browser is closed.
  • wires_challenge
    • ProcessWire session cookie used to verify the validity of a session.
    • First-party persistent cookie, expires after 30 days.
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, teppo said:

Note that legislation may differ from country to country. For an example here in Finland one apparently still has to document the cookies, even though "necessary" ones don't require opt-in (or opt-out)

... and I thought that we in Germany are already tortured with extreme detail. ?

Thanks for sharing the explanations! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2020 at 9:19 PM, teppo said:
  • wires_challenge
    • ProcessWire session cookie used to verify the validity of a session.
    • First-party session cookie, expires when the browser is closed.

This statement seem to be incorrect: wires_challenge is valid for 30 days. Is there additional description available regarding the cookies?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johannes Weberhofer said:

This statement seem to be incorrect: wires_challenge is valid for 30 days. Is there additional description available regarding the cookies?

Corrected in my post above. You're right, wires_challenge is in fact a persistent cookie that lasts 30 days.

What kind of additional description are you looking for? ?