The Power Supply Shop

Outward

We recently launched The Power Supply Shop, an e-commerce store built using a combination of ProcessWire and SnipCart. 

The site has in excess of 120,000 products and variations, making heavy use of page references as well as SnipCart's "any page can be a product" approach. The site pulls in its data from an external MS SQL database several times a day.

At a glance, the site uses:

• ProCache - as well as WireCache for some heavy product listing pages (50k+)
  • FormBuilder
  • @adrian's Tracy Debugger
  • A modified version of @Soma's Ajax Search
  • @mtwebit's fantastic Tasker and DataSet modules.

And that's about it on the module front. For other libraries we're only really using FancyBox.js for product galleries and Anchorific.js for guide pages. 

At present the site is geared towards the UK, but if and when this changes I'm looking forward to delving into multi-languages with ProcessWire, something I haven't really worked with yet!

• Like 18

Looks great!  Cool background on the modals as well.

I love seeing PW sites with a vast amount of nested pages with relationships between them as it really shows the power of the system.  I cringe when in WordPress land people say "I need a catalog, not an ecommerce site, so let me bring in Woocommerce for that." ?‍♂️ Total overkill and loss of flexibility.  ProcessWire's got that handled as this site demonstrates, and Snipcart finishes it off.

It seems like is this was on a different ecommerce platform previously?  If so, what lead to it being re-developed?  Any other background you can share?

• Like 3

On 6/7/2020 at 10:10 PM, Jonathan Lahijani said:

Looks great!  Cool background on the modals as well.

I love seeing PW sites with a vast amount of nested pages with relationships between them as it really shows the power of the system.  I cringe when in WordPress land people say "I need a catalog, not an ecommerce site, so let me bring in Woocommerce for that." ?‍♂️ Total overkill and loss of flexibility.  ProcessWire's got that handled as this site demonstrates, and Snipcart finishes it off.

It seems like is this was on a different ecommerce platform previously?  If so, what lead to it being re-developed?  Any other background you can share?

Thanks Jonathan. This is actually the first version of the store outside of online marketplaces.

I've had the misfortune of using WooCommerce in the past on a site with a large catalogue of products and variations, it wasn't the slightest bit enjoyable!

The beauty of ProcessWire is that I could define the PW templates/fields around the existing data, whereas an off the shelf e-commerce product would have required everything to be re-structured to meet the criteria of what it defines a 'product' as, or otherwise rely on another third-party service like Zapier which becomes expensive when daily tasks run into the thousands and feels like an unnecessary step.

I really buy into the separation of CMS and e-commerce, and ProcessWire is the perfect framework for that.

• Like 1