Fancy Admin Mode

Soma

Fancy Admin Mode

Just had a little funwith fancybox iframes, and created a little module that opens all admin links (topnav links, edit, view, new, copy actions) except "Pages" screen and "Site", "Search" in a FancyBox, so you'll never leave the page tree. It even works with inherit editing child pages.

Download: https://github.com/s.../FancyAdminMode

Little screencast to se it in action:

• Like 19

Love it! :)

It's a different way of always having easy access to the tree and not losing your place. The way I was thinking of last week was having the page tree in a sidebar area a bit like MODx but this works better with any size of website.

Now slow down, you're making the rest of us look bad ;)

• Like 3

Multiple things:

[#] Not sure whether this is the best thing ever or worst thing ever

[#] Could those stacked fancy boxes open kindof like basecamp does it? (that would be rad)-

[#] This actually needs it's own theme, or should be made as a theme, I think.

God job.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Soma,

Thanks for this.

It doesn't play nice (visually) with CKEditor though. It "removes" the editor's icons, leaving ugly text instead...e.g. "bold", "italic", etc. I only tested this quickly so did not check if functionality is affected. I haven't checked with TinyMCE. Using PW 2.3 release. Thanks.

Edit: Well, it is working now. Must have been something I did. False alarm, sorry :)

Edited by kongondo

Soma,

me again :) Please see screenshots. That's what I see when I install the module. As you can see, almost everything "disappears" from the page  - the menus, footer, etc. (default template). . This is on a fresh install of PW 2.3. 

Thanks.

post-894-0-69684100-1365711831_thumb.jpg

post-894-0-83350300-1365711973_thumb.jpg

Yeah that is because it turns on "modal" mode in the system. It's quite tricky/hacky and I don't consider it stable :)

One side effect is the one you mention after install, but if you reload the refresh the admin url or clean out the &modal=1 (not sure anymore) you should see the Pages screen normally as before.