Front end editing without backend access?

JayGee

As per the title really, is it possible to set up front end editing permission on a template without granting a user access to the back end dashboard?

I know I can allow editing with the API but seems to be reinventing the wheel somewhat!

1 minute ago, bernhard said:

I think it should be enough to put this in your /site/templates/admin.php

if(!$user->isSuperuser()) $session->redirect('/');

A beautifully simple approach thank you! ?

1 minute ago, bernhard said:

Actually this would also prevent you from opening the login-screen. But you get the idea and can modify it to your needs (like checking for a user role or a page template or id etc.).

Yes sure I can make something work here thanks. Love these kind of simple approaches - I was way overthinking it!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ivan Gretsky said:

Wouldn't it also break complex fields frontend editing, which happens in popup iframes with admin pages loaded?

I think so, yes. But it should be quite easy to whitelist some pages/templates/roles and only redirect all other requests ? 

11 hours ago, Ivan Gretsky said:

Wouldn't it also break complex fields frontend editing, which happens in popup iframes with admin pages loaded?

Interesting I hadn't considered that.

I was wondering - could I just change the admin template permissions in the access tab to exclude the roles I don't want to give backend access to? Any unforeseen consequences here? ?

39 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

I was wondering - could I just change the admin template permissions in the access tab to exclude the roles I don't want to give backend access to? Any unforeseen consequences here? ?

I think that would have the same effect of breaking frontend editing modals. But you can easily allow modals via checking if $input->get->modal == true (note double == not triple, because modal can be 1 or panel or modal)