MySQL server has gone away

Rob(AU)

I am having issues with my site being very slow, for both the front and back end. Having researched and looked at previous posts on the topic has not helped, but the threads I could find were from a while ago.

The error I'm getting in the Exceptions Log is: 
     SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away
      In /wire/core/WireDatabasePDO.php line 499

Tech support for my hosting investigated and could not see any MySQL issues. At the same time, the dev copy of the site on my localhost is also going slow.

Another site on my localhost is working as normal, so that seems to eliminate the hosting as a problem.

I am hoping someone can shed some light on what might be causing this.

Thanks

I had this issue and ultimately I did nail it down to issues with the webhost.

They would cluster their clients MySQL databases based on the first letter of the URL. Domains I had beginning with 'S' or 'T' would constantly get this message, where others on 'Z' or 'Y' were unaffected...

In a nutshell, do double check that it isn't your host. The error essentially means that ProcessWire cannot connect to the DB/that it's timed out. 

5 hours ago, Rob(AU) said:

currently it is set at:  memory_limit 768M

Is that going to be enough?

Yeah, that should be plenty. There can be lots of reasons for the SQL error - that is just one of them. You may need to dig further to discover the cause, but next I would check mysql's set max_allowed_packet setting.

Also, be sure to Google the that error as there are lots of suggestions on what to check.