Alternate posting methods - email / browser extension

Mikie

Random question, but does anyone have any guidance or experience in alternate methods for posting content as an authenticated user. Basically as a personal covid-19 project I want to set up a site for my friends to post YouTube videos, but allow them to do so in the easiest / quickest possible way. Ideas I have had so far are:

• creating a custom browser extension that works with one click when on a YouTube url
  • setting up a system whereby they can email a specific address with the YouTube url as the subject line

Can't seem to find much info around these two scenarios or other automated posting methods in the forums. Would love some input!

4 hours ago, Mikie said:

setting up a system whereby they can email a specific address with the YouTube url as the subject line

At least this seems to be solved already: https://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-email-to-page/

4 hours ago, Mikie said:

creating a custom browser extension that works with one click when on a YouTube url

I have never developed a browser extension myself, but I guess it should not be too hard. The extension could send the URL to your PW and there you could do anything with that request. You just need to make sure to do proper sanitization of the data and that only allowed users can post data to your system (eg. via a secret token).

• Like 4

Thanks @bernhard, didn't know about ProcessEmailToPage.

Yup, extensions are pretty easy I've made a few for personal use, eg one for emulating a user scrolling a page to capture consistent videos of page scrolls. What you suggest is exactly what I thought, could distribute builds to each user with a unique token.

• Like 1