Check alternate path before throw 404

joer80

I have a page located at /pages/about-us/.  Is it possible to write code that looks for it at /about-us/ before I throw the 404?

I would like all children of pages to check this way.  Not just this one.

Thanks!

You can hook to pageNotFound

// in modules init()
$this->addHookBefore('ProcessPageView::pageNotFound', $this, 'redirectToEnglish');

public function redirectToEnglish($event){
  // some logic
	$this->session->redirect($yourpage->url);
}

1 hour ago, Zeka said:

You can hook to pageNotFound

// in modules init()
$this->addHookBefore('ProcessPageView::pageNotFound', $this, 'redirectToEnglish');

public function redirectToEnglish($event){
  // some logic
	$this->session->redirect($yourpage->url);
}

So what I want to happen, is if I visit /about-us/, it will load the /pages/about-us/ page as $page without the user seeing a redirect.  Is that what this would do? Or would they get redirected?

23 minutes ago, joer80 said:

Or would they get redirected?

A $session->redirect does exactly what it says on the tin; it will redirect.

It seems you have a parent page called 'pages'. One of its children is 'about-us'. In the frontend, you don't want people to see 'pages' in the URL. You want them to access the parent's children directly. For instance, you want ONLY 'about-us' in the URL. Finally, you don't want a redirect Is this correct?

Just now, kongondo said:

A $session->redirect does exactly what it says on the tin; it will redirect.

It seems you have a parent page called 'pages'. One of its children is 'about-us'. In the frontend, you don't want people to see 'pages' in the URL. You want them to access the parent's children directly. For instance, you want ONLY 'about-us' in the URL. Finally, you don't want a redirect Is this correct?

Correct.  Hard to explain! ?

In that case what you want is to rewrite the URL. It is a divisive topic :-). Have you considered alternative, e.g. restructuring your site? Anyway, if you are sure you want to rewrite the URL, this is the go to topic:

See the section on URLs.

This post might also be relevant:

• Like 1

Thanks @kongondo I think I have it.  Ryans post helped a ton!

This is not a live website yet so I am playing around with the tree layout, but I do see perks for this.  This is the tree:

Root

- Pages
- Products
- Menus

So I wanted pages to be special in that for a page like /pages/about/, you could opt to use the short form /about/. 

This not only matches most websites you would migrate to processwire, but it is so clean and organized.

Also, I wanted you to be able to have 2 homepages, and edit the root page and select which page you want to load as your active homepage.  You could even make the blog or posts page your homepage with a click.

After looking at Ryans code, I ended up turning on page segments for root and doing the below code in my root.php.  

//Allow pages to sit under root instead of under pages area.
if($input->urlSegment(1)){
	//might be 404 or a url directly under root.
	$realPage = $pages->get('/pages/' . $input->urlSegment(1) . '/');

if($realPage->id){
		$page = $realPage;
	} else {
		throw new Wire404Exception();
	}

} else {
	//matched a page, no need to check for short link.

//Set the root variable and page variable. (If on homepage, use the selected homepage instead)
	if($page->id == 1){
        $root = $page;
        $page = $page->selected_homepage;
    } else {
        $root = $pages->get('/');
    }
}

I also fixed the page path like this in site/init.php

//If we are viewing the long path for a page, set the path value to the short version. (Pages live in /pages/)
$wire->addHookBefore('Page::path', function($event) {

$page = $event->object;

if($page->template == 'page') {

$event->replace = true;
    	$event->return = "/$page->name/";

}

});

15 hours ago, kongondo said:

In that case then, in case you missed it, here's a new alternative way to do custom paths

Oh wow!  That is really neat.  I will keep that in mind.  

After taking the time to figure it all out, I am wondering now if in my situation it would just be better to keep the tree natural, and make a dashboard that you see by default after login, that groups the pages how I want them to be grouped.  lol

But this may be handy to keep in the mind in the future if I redo an existing website and dont want to do redirects and need that flexibility.