Configuring Wordpress Plugins [PHP files] as modules

JJS

Welcome on the forum jayvansantos,

Processwire core has cover a lot of things other CMSses need a plug-ins for. The Processwire Api is very wel thought & very straigh forward. If you're explain more, maybe we can help or route you.

Thanks for the welcome Martijn.

Just a few plugins I've bought and some that I didn't:

It's a lot to transfer, that's why I want to get acquantenced with the process and do it myself. With these I can customize the admin panel and make things front end easier on processwire than modx, drupal, wordpress, or joomla. I feel once I get this process of transfering plugins, I'll get dirty with code, edit them to my liking, and then eventually create my own modules.

As you know, wp-plugins are PHP-based and this CMS is all about PHP so I'm sure it's possible. :)

This is a joke not? :D

I'm serious :|, I can't for no matter what I do customize the hell out of the wp-admin like I want to. I bought the crown admin template to look at the code. The only thing close to what can look like that is Processwire!

The objective is a store, that anyone can create a subdomain version of it, have affiliates, and easily connect paypal, stripe or whatever to it like MarketPress, Pro Sites, Affiliate and Membership. That's the core. I hope this is possible! Shopify or whatever is not an option I want to build this myself :).

Where can I start?

Each case is a case. Some of those you don't even need in PW, others are really easy to implement, others are a lot pf code for sure, and even if you could try to adapt them you would most probably be breaking their license.

A word of advise: if you decide to leave WordPress, just forget that you bought those...

Each case is a case. Some of those you don't even need in PW, others are really easy to implement, others are a lot pf code for sure, and even if you could try to adapt them you would most probably be breaking their license.

A word of advise: if you decide to leave WordPress, just forget that you bought those...

Their license accepts using it commercially. Well, I'm looking at the code. I'll forget about them, but how do I go by replicating the exact features on PW (since most of it is already done in PHP)?

So the process isn't the same in tranfering these plugins, where you can tell me if you find x, all you have to do is switch y, z or translate a, b to c. Alright, the most important of it all is the e-commerce aspect of the store.

^ that is the best way to port the plugins.

Alright, so I should strip plugin by plugin (starting with Marketpress) by functionality? I can't use none of the code? I'm up for it. Should I list how the PHP application is structured? I feel like this is way too much support and there should be some place I should be referred to that somehwat explains this better, I don't want to be wasting your time!

I don't want to be wasting your time!

Everyone wastes everyone's time here :) If what you ask is useful, it will end up helping someone else.

the most important of it all is the e-commerce aspect of the store

This was widely debated here already. There is a long talk here http://processwire.com/talk/topic/550-e-commerce-with-processwire/

There is also already a eCommerce plugin, but doesn't have many payment systems incorporated

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/shopping-cart/

If you are completely sure that you are allowed to use the code from the plugin that you bought, I'm sure it might help more people than just yourself.

Everyone wastes everyone's time here :) If what you ask is useful, it will end up helping someone else.

This was widely debated here already. There is a long talk here http://processwire.c...th-processwire/

There is also already a eCommerce plugin, but doesn't have many payment systems incorporated

http://modules.proce.../shopping-cart/

If you are completely sure that you are allowed to use the code from the plugin that you bought, I'm sure it might help more people than just yourself.

The only way you can use it is if you bought it. I'm reading those pages.

How do you attach things on here >_<

If you need all those plug-ins & you bought it & It functions. why the hell you want to change it to processwire ? ( Not that I want to work with an other CMS now a days )

I didn't buy all of them ;). I got a "discount", and downloaded all of their plugins for $79. Normally they cost $29/plugin. I want to customize the admin panel (not just add new boxes or colors over the existing panel, but rearrange things like a normal HTML template with php, css, js, jquery, and ajax. Icon-based since Puerto Ricans testers don't like to read a lot and are complaining). I can do this more freely on PW than on Wordpress, Modx, or Drupal. :)

There is a "more reply options button" next to "post"

For the eShop, you should also consider integrating something like Shopify or Jumpseller with PW.

I'm looking for a self hosted solution. I just finished calling Shopify and they require you to use their CMS and to host with them. I'm only on page 3 of that first link but here's how they structured their php: marketpress.zip

I think there are a few things to bear in mind here:

1. You will need to know a fair amount of PHP to proceed. No CMS will allow you to simply port functions from another CMS by replacing X with Y - the functions will usually interact differently with the core code. A clumsy example is that it's essentially like taking wheels from a quad bike and trying to attach it to a monster truck - yes they're both wheels but they are incompatible and there will be a lot of effort involved in making them work together.
  2. It may well be easier to add your required functionality to the shopping cart module diogo mentioned: http://modules.processwire.com/modules/shopping-cart/ - again though you will need to look at that source code and be able to code PHP to continue
  3. If you're happy coding PHP, there are several topics to help you on your way to understanding ProcessWire modules

1. Firstly, read up on the documentation on the site - you will need an understanding of how the system works first: http://processwire.com/api/
    2. Next there is some useful information on creating modules here: http://wiki.processwire.com/index.php/Module_Creation and here:
    3. Finally, the cheatsheet is handy to have to hand: http://processwire.com/api/cheatsheet/
    4. Let us know how you get on.

• Like 2

JJS, I think what others are trying to say is that you can't take the code from Wordpress plugins and easily integrate it into PW. If you want to use PW then you need to use PW framework and forget about Wordpress. Wordpress' PHP does not work with PW. They are two completely different systems.

There are some PW modules created by the community that will work with what you are desiring, like putting the site into maintenance mode or language translations or tagging. But for other features, like a members only section, you are going to have to dig into the forums and learn how others have implemented into their sites.

Just ask very specific questions and you will get the answers. Break your project down into what you need and ask away!

• Like 2

Alright, did further research and I'll keep working on my pre-alpha and the admin panel to the best of wp's abiliy. I'm going ahead of myself but I found about: refinerycms.com and www.ruby-toolbox.com- it has everything that I need. Ruby with a more robust API and gems it'll be my beta choice after my ProcessWire alpha (with an enhanced admin ui).

I'll get into reading the php api overview once projects and finals week is over, can't wait until the 2012DEC15- I'll have until the 2013JAN20 off :).

If anyone is interested here's what I'll be using to learn Ruby (sans hardbooks) :

Going from:

to:

I'll be focusing on schneems.com/ut-rails, I believe it has just enough dirt to immerse me into understanding gems and combining them to use.

Source: www.quora.com...g-Ruby-on-Rails

Now I'm stumped.

So you're going to port a lot of apps over to ProcessWire from WordPress and, if that wasn't going to take enough time (several months of your time at the very least, if not a year), you're going to ditch it eventually and port the whole lot over to a completely different programming language?

Are you sure you're not pulling our leg with this because I've got little time for jokes that waste people's time here. Not trying to sound nasty, but what you're suggesting sounds a bit silly and that's just the way it is.

Now I'm stumped.

So you're going to port a lot of apps over to ProcessWire from WordPress and, if that wasn't going to take enough time (several months of your time at the very least, if not a year), you're going to ditch it eventually and port the whole lot over to a completely different programming language?

Are you sure you're not pulling our leg with this because I've got little time for jokes that waste people's time here. Not trying to sound nasty, but what you're suggesting sounds a bit silly and that's just the way it is.

I'm not trolling. Is there anyway I can combine pw's admin flexibilty / ui to wp?

You're a veteran at this, why are you saying it can take close to a year to port this to processwire?

Well that would depend on your time, but what sounds silly to me is porting it all to ProcessWire as an "alpha" which would work perfectly well, then translating all that to an entirely different programming language which presents different problems - you're essentially first building it on a framework that helps you in certain ways, then throwing it all away and writing it from scratch, including all of the user and page management features etc that ProcessWire gives you out of the box.

The short version of all the above posts is:

1. You will likely need to rewrite most of the code in these modules
  2. You will need to know how to do this yourself (i.e. have a decent grasp of PHP)
  3. You will need plenty of time to do it all in - I say a year as if this was me working on this for myself and not for a client I have time constraints during the day and less time during my evenings and weekends that I would be working on it. Either way it's no small task you're embarking upon and there's no easy shortcuts to getting there, but ProcessWire is a good system to build many web applications in
  4. Doing this all and porting it over to Ruby as a version 2 sounds silly. Stick with one or the other from the start.

EDIT: In fact your last question is worrying - combine ProcessWire's flexibility and UI with Wordpress? That is also frankly silly.

At one level they are both CMS' (Content Management Systems) and duplicate each others' work, though ProcessWire is arguably the better choice, certainly to those of us who use it.

What you are suggesting now in terms of a car analogy would be called a "cut 'n shut" in the UK (and probably elsewhere) - taking two halves of different cars and welding them together. It's possible (illegal in the case of cars ;)), but... why?

• Like 1

Well that would depend on your time, but what sounds silly to me is porting it all to ProcessWire as an "alpha" which would work perfectly well, then translating all that to an entirely different programming language which presents different problems - you're essentially first building it on a framework that helps you in certain ways, then throwing it all away and writing it from scratch, including all of the user and page management features etc that ProcessWire gives you out of the box.

The short version of all the above posts is:

1. You will likely need to rewrite most of the code in these modules
  2. You will need to know how to do this yourself (i.e. have a decent grasp of PHP)
  3. You will need plenty of time to do it all in - I say a year as if this was me working on this for myself and not for a client I have time constraints during the day and less time during my evenings and weekends that I would be working on it. Either way it's no small task you're embarking upon and there's no easy shortcuts to getting there, but ProcessWire is a good system to build many web applications in
  4. Doing this all and porting it over to Ruby as a version 2 sounds silly. Stick with one or the other from the start.

EDIT: In fact your last question is worrying - combine ProcessWire's flexibility and UI with Wordpress? That is also frankly silly.

At one level they are both CMS' (Content Management Systems) and duplicate each others' work, though ProcessWire is arguably the better choice, certainly to those of us who use it.

What you are suggesting now in terms of a car analogy would be called a "cut 'n shut" in the UK (and probably elsewhere) - taking two halves of different cars and welding them together. It's possible (illegal in the case of cars ;)), but... why?

Gotcha. Yeah, basically I wanted to display the possibilities of each platform and how they compare (each version upgrading and different platforms, just for the heck of it, to get dirty with php AND ruby). Oh well, I will definitely comeback since this isn't the only application I want to do.

ProcessWire will help me make my next database/wiki/information storing web app's ui much easier to do so I can't wait.

I'm stepping into this kind of late as I've been out of town, but just want to mention that if you've got a lot of plugins in WordPress that already accomplish what you need, there's no reason to try and duplicate that somewhere else. WordPress is a very good platform for many needs, and if you've got a couple dozen plugins accomplishing things you need, why look further? There should be no shame in using WordPress. Plenty of us will still use it when the needs match up. Ultimately the whole point of tools is to save you time and make your job easier. :) Use the tool that accomplishes the goal in the most direct manner possible.