Not user friendly, my rant

kinderheim511

I found out about ProcessWire by looking for a fast script to open an online comics reader.

I've used already built templates and it's most probably the reason I get an error on every change I make. My PHP skills are at the level of copy/pasting code in files.

I know I can build the templates myself, but I'd need to spend how many hours on this?

I already have two error topics opened, resolved, now I would need to open a third one just because I tried to delete a field and everything crashed.

You can see how a normal web owner will have trouble if he decides on ProcessWire.

Wordpress has a loading time twice as high, but I will go and use it because it's stable and intuitive and I don't need coding knowledge to use is.

Believe me, I am very sad and pissed off ProcessWire isn't working for me, I've enjoyed how simple and fast it is. But I'm on this for 2 weeks and I'm still nowhere.

Good luck with your project!

27 minutes ago, kinderheim511 said:

Wordpress has a loading time twice as high, but I will go and use it because it's stable and intuitive and I don't need coding knowledge to use is.

I am sure you need some knowledges to make something nice without spending a buck in an already built-in theme.

Stable ? for a vanilla blog, the core might be green depending the version, the plugins eco-system is red.

Intuitive ? ...

Booooooo to me, I fall into a troll ! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, kinderheim511 said:

I found out about ProcessWire by looking for a fast script to open an online comics reader.

I've used already built templates and it's most probably the reason I get an error on every change I make. My PHP skills are at the level of copy/pasting code in files.

I know I can build the templates myself, but I'd need to spend how many hours on this?

I already have two error topics opened, resolved, now I would need to open a third one just because I tried to delete a field and everything crashed.

You can see how a normal web owner will have trouble if he decides on ProcessWire.

Believe me, I am very sad and pissed off ProcessWire isn't working for me, I've enjoyed how simple and fast it is. But I'm on this for 2 weeks and I'm still nowhere.

Good luck with your project!

Sounds like you never used / tried on wordpress below listed activities. 

1. try to create / delete menu items and add sub menu items

2. try to create few extra fields which are not with the packed theme 

3. try to update a plugin because its not updated with wordpress version, right after you updated the plugin, your entire website is down 

4. try to explain the difference between PAGE and POST to your client - believe me, I was fed up with my  clients

5. try visual editor of wordpress ( what they call wp bakery some stuff ) 

well, if you drive a car, you need to follow some rules. You cannot push Break and Accelerator at a time then complain, "look what a rubbish machine this is ". I suggest you to learn the relationship between Fields / Pages / Templates.  A normal user should read the user manual of whichever application / tool / machine .
I was also pissed off with PW on my first try but after I got the knack with Fields / Pages / Templates then everything is awesome. 

best wishes

• Like 1

Yep, there is a difference between following and choosing a cms.
Wordpress is followed, Processwire is chosen.
The forum history is your friend. You can find
a lot of answers and solved problems for non coders
in the forum history.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JeevanisM said:

I was also pissed off with PW on my first try but after I got the knack with Fields / Pages / Templates then everything is awesome. 

Yes, it happened to me too, and twice!! ... but the third time I started to understand ... I'm a graphic designer, but I knew something about php, however you need to understand how PW is going first, if not, you are shooting blindly . When you reach that stage, then you discover how easy it was!
I must admit that for me the selection of the names for the components of the system does not help at all in the learning curve. Because we arrives here with names learned elsewhere and here it's not used for the same thing (Pages, Templates, Template files, etc.) For me the new concepts was the most difficult side.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, kinderheim511 said:

I  actually built something like a comic reader a few years ago (actually while learning processwire!) ! Running rock solid in a few years old version most likely ?

http://losrenegadoscomic.com/comic/capitulo-1/cover/

PW is like the perfect tool to build something like this! But if you are very new to programming in general, it's not going to be that easy unfortunately, ProcessWire is just not that type of tool although you can get VERY far with very little, hang in there if you can!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Pixrael said:

Yes, it happened to me too, and twice!! ... but the third time I started to understand ... I'm a graphic designer, but I knew something about php, however you need to understand how PW is going first, if not, you are shooting blindly . When you reach that stage, then you discover how easy it was!
I must admit that for me the selection of the names for the components of the system does not help at all in the learning curve. Because we arrives here with names learned elsewhere and here it's not used for the same thing (Pages, Templates, Template files, etc.) For me the new concepts was the most difficult side.

This guy really helped me a lot.  Once you understand the working structure of  Page - Field - Template, then eveything easy, unless its super annoying.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kinderheim511 said:

just because I tried to delete a field and everything crashed

It would be interesting to know more than "everything crashed" ?

9 hours ago, kinderheim511 said:

I don't need coding knowledge to use is

Different strokes for different folks. PW is not designed for the same developers as Wordpress. Wordpress works easily to a point, then it's really painful. PW is maybe a little too techie for some folks initially, but has so much more flexibility than WP.

So "not user friendly" really depends on who the user is - wouldn't you agree ?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I am not a web developer pro, but I understand that a (piece of) code or a (programming) concept can be "beautiful". If you make yourself familiar with Processwire, you will find such very often.

• Like 4

It always depends on what you want to do with the system.

If you only want to create single pages with text and a blog, then Wordpress might be the right choice.

However, if you want to create customized pages with specific functions, tailored to a customer or a project, Wordpress gets very complicated.

This is where Processwire can make the most of its advantages:
- easily extendable
- the edit surfaces are almost perfectly adapted to the pages
- high-level flexibility

But to use Processwire, you need to know HTML and PHP.
But if you want to use Wordpress not only with ready-made themes and modules, you need the same knowledge. In my opinion Processwire is even easier.

• Like 3