Koding

diogo

Hey Claudio, I need your email for the invite, can you PM it to me?

For what I've tested so far it's very interesting but it does feel a lot like beta. As for what it is, I think it's better if you see for yourself, you will understand it as soon has you login.

Hi onjegolders,

I've just signed up for a Koding account and haven't really had time to play with it yet, so I'm still wrapping my head around it. TechCrunch has a brief article on this service that might help you get a better understanding of what the system is about. Maybe you already know this, but just in case.

http://tcrn.ch/R0Q07p

edit: By the way, I think they gave me 3 invites on sign up, so if you need one just PM your email address.

Ok, just installed pw in koding. Everything is working fine, although a bit slow...

Here is how to do it:

Go to "develop" and launch the terminal.

cd to the /websites/ folder (replace USERNAME with your own)

cd Sites/USERNAME.koding.com/website

clone the contents of PW to that directory (let's make it the dev version)

git clone -b dev https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire.git .

or, if you prefer to have it in a subdirectory without the dot

git clone -b dev https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire.git

do all the renaming stuff using the right click context on the UI (htaccess.txt->.htaccess and site-default->site)

important step: in the htaccess file add this line (change USERNAME to you own and paste it right under # RewriteBase /~user/ to keep it tidy)

RewriteBase /~USERNAME/USERNAME.koding.com/website/pw/

if you have PW installed in a subdirectory change to

RewriteBase /~USERNAME/USERNAME.koding.com/website/DIRECTORY/

create a database in "accounts"->"database settings", and keep the given info with you

go to http://USERNAME.koding.com/ and install PW normally

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

HI Diogo

Just tried an install and the database went completely idiotic - didn't work, needless to say.

Not sure what happened but it threw too many errors for me to count. 

I think it had trouble with the database. Strangely, when I created the database it seemed to create four of them - all identical.

I will try again later! But I have to say, I am finding it very buggy at the moment! :)

I didn't have any problem with the database, but I find the interface pretty buggy, especially when moving files or folders. I think koding is a very interesting idea, but there's still a long way to go concerning the implementation.

• 1 month later...

Still not quite sure why I'd want to code in the browser currently and rely on internet access.

Can someone put forward some pros/cons to this approach vs the usual MAMP local dev?

PS Congrats Luis!

Edit: Also what about https://c9.io/ - looks very interesting too, just not sure about the whether to change my whole workflow.

• 9 months later...

Still not quite sure why I'd want to code in the browser currently and rely on internet access.

Good point. There is too much hype going on in cloud world. Why would I trust my hard work and client data to a cloud and depend on my internet connection at my home ? Accessing a cloud business through a single Internet connection, that connection becomes a key point of vulnerability. Should it fail, any applications that depend on the cloud will be unavailable. Why would clients store data that they are not comfortable with having in a country with questionable laws ? Think about patriot act and the nsa. Cloud-based makes it difficult to get customer service promptly – or at all. Sending an email and waiting for help within 24 or more hours ? What are you going to do when you have to move all your data to another cloud service ? Who is going to move your gigs of data to another cloud when your first cloud service packed up ? Vendor lock-ins are around the corner.

The list goes on but I keep it with this to think about.

I started playing with these things about a year ago and sort of got bored.

It seems to be solving a problem that doesn't quite exist, at least for the lone worker.

I can see more advantages for collaborative projects, but then, things like GitHub seem to work pretty well for those - at least it allows separate experimentation and then pulling successful elements together.

Personally, I still use an old PC as a dev server with Virtualmin and Samba on it, and I have just added WD My Cloud to the home network (which is accessible from the web) for other bits (There is a 4-bay, raid version now for people that want extra safety).  That way I can hop around editors and IDEs as I fancy,

Also, the faster everyones connections are, the less of a pain it is sending stuff to clients rather than archiving centrally somewhere for them.

It seems that clients always manage to have problems with things like Own Cloud or Ajaxplorer, however carefully I set them up. Often easier to either email something or just bung a zip up on my server.

• Like 2

I work on multiple devices, ranging from phones (rarely) and tablets (not so rarely) to desktop machines. Having everything properly set up no matter what device I start (and no matter whether I've ever even used it before) is cool. I'm also most productive when I don't have to spend time adapting to new environment every time I start different machine, so having a consistent experience would definitely be a big plus.

Personally I've solved most of these by having everything set up server-side, making browser and SSH client (and, though that's apparently going to change pretty soon, Photoshop) only things I really need to start working and be productive. Nevertheless I can see why some people might not like that and would actually prefer some horrible mouse-driven graphical IDE and other similar productivity killers.. :)

From company's point of view, on the other hand, this just makes sense; not only does it make new kind of collaboration possible (like Joss already pointed out) and (theoretically) even make moving people from one project to another a breeze, it can also decrease costs of each new employee. No more high-end Macs, pricey IDEs and self-hosted complicated environments when all you need is couple of cheap thin clients and web-based, monthly billed app.

That, and the (sad) fact that when that environment is developed far enough your employees don't really even need to know what's happening behind the scenes (Git, whatsthat?) when everything just magically works. Lower requirements when hiring new people often equal lower salaries.. and each new guy takes shorter time to learn the ropes and start being productive.

I could list a dozen or so other benefits, but I think this pretty much summarizes it :)

• Like 4

For 2000 euro you can setup 2 good servers, one on-line and a second one running parallel off-line, each with 2 raid harddisks, 2 connected backup harddisks and 2 disconnected nightly backup harddisks in a safe (or a tapestreamer). Put an admin to work that maintains the network, the users and the servers. A cloud service can never beat having 24 hours LOCAL service done by an admin, having remote access from home and a car that takes him to the servers and the network in, let's say, half an hour. Depends how far the admin lives from the company. In case of a soho company there is usually a manager who is a coder and admin at the same time.

Anyway Servers are not anymore what they used to be, a big tower with dusty fans placed in it's own cooled room.

Fanless servers who need no special room (except for security reasons) and with almost no maintenance needs:

http://www.andersdx.com/products/mini-box-computers/hardware/microsvr.aspx

@pwired: depends a lot on your needs -- whether you're just hosting the development environment etc. Self-hosting development environment is doable, but I wouldn't really consider hosting production environment for any other use case than in a small company working with couple of smaller clients myself.

Once larger clients, SLAs, HA-requirements etc. enter the picture, simply managing the infrastructure is going to require full-time employee (with proper skills, not just a developer with rudimentary *NIX experience) working on it and being on call 24/7, which can get expensive. I've also seen clients require that the environment be set up in multiple geographical locations, be guarded from physical theft and natural disasters, be able to survive DDoS etc. -- not necessarily something you'll want to (or even be able to) handle yourself.

Another important thing to mention is that when you're using cloud-based solution you'll typically pay for what you use, not all those extra resources you'll need to have with that self-hosted alternative just to survive short-term usage spikes etc. You also don't need to worry about periodically upgrading your machinery and won't necessarily even have to commit to a long-term contract (further decreasing involved risks.)

All things considered I'd say it's pretty damn good deal, actually :)