Show specific fields when a Page is selected from a Page field (front and backend)

Inxentas

I have a big collection of Pages with a template called page-product. These products have a few fields describing their properties. Now my client wants to split this template into various types of products, each with their own set of properties. The most obvious solution would be to make a few new specific templates, like page-product-foo or page-product-bar. Doing this would also mean rewriting a lot of existing selector logic. So what I could also do, is allow the client to append a child to the Product that has these properties. For me that would be a good solution, but for my client this might be confusing. So I'm looking for a user-friendly way to do the same. Ideally, these Properties should be filled in when editing a Page without having to mess with it's Children.

One option is to make a Page with children for each type of product and make it a dropdown. And subsequently have each "property" field be visible only when a specific product-type is chosen. However, I'm not sure if this is the best way to go about it - since at the frontend I'd have to take these fields into account, and I'm not sure whether I'll be able to deduct in code which field should be shown (I guess this could be pulled from $fields->MyFieldName). Does anyone have a better idea on how to implement such a feature?