CMS not writing to files

fruid

Hi,

this is the first time I'm using ProcessWire.

I thought I get how fields, template and pages work, but when I create a template in the CMS, it doesn't generate any file in site/templates/

Then I thought I might need to create a blank file myself manually on the FTP (which already seems odd to me).

Once I did that, I tried to add fields to the template but again, doesn't write to the php file.

When I create a new page and apply said template to it, the page stay blank.

AFAIK the mod_rewrite of the apache is on and I went for the worst case scenario described here https://processwire.com/docs/security/file-permissions/ and set all file-permissions for future files to 0666 and folders to 0777 in the config.php

What am I not getting and what am I doing wrong?

Help is appreciated, stay save everybody,

Fred

When you create a template in the CMS , it creates the templates (virtually) and fields that holds the data in the Database, creating a template file in the folder allows you to tie that template with the data of the template in the CMS that was created. You have to explicitly create the template file and refresh  

so I need to code the template as php and html after all? I thought it was supposed to be easy to use.
And after coding the template and all I still need to select the fields that I want to add to the template in the admin panel after all? Isn't that redundant?

Processwire is not a normal CMS as you know it, it is rather a "Content Management Framework".

That's why Processwire gives you much more possibilities than the most other CMS. But you also have to program more.

For the beginning: you can install different examples during the Processwire setup.

16 hours ago, fruid said:

so I need to code the template as php and html after all? I thought it was supposed to be easy to use.
And after coding the template and all I still need to select the fields that I want to add to the template in the admin panel after all? Isn't that redundant?

Think of your template as the Presentation view and the fields as properties for a Data Container, the Page gives you all the data you need, then you are in control of the presentation. This is better than how WP works , because the system already exposes the data you need, how you render the template is now up to you.  This gives you room to plan the fields and pages and even have shared templates. 

• 3 months later...
On 3/31/2020 at 10:27 PM, fruid said:

It is not redundant, its actually the processwire way to give extra control to the developer on the pages and code.