Image cropping with fixed aspect ratio

kunago

I am using the integrated image field type with the possibility to crop images. It is an excellent feature. For one project I am trying to work with some images that need to be cropped with a fixed aspect ration, for instance 1:2. I can do the same in PHP but that does not show the user what will be the result before the image is saved and viewed. Also it is quite difficult for some to prepare images according to the aspect ratio required so nothing needed is cropped actually.

I look at cropper that is a part of the ProcessPageEditImageSelect module. Cropper does have the possibility to set the aspect ratio but it is not used in the module itself. Is there any programatical way to force the cropper to use a specific aspect ratio without any need to mess around with core modules?

Hi @kunago and welcome to the PW forum.

I am not sure if you refer to the actual "page-edit" / backend-GUI scenario, but I guess you do.

What you can do is to duplicate the original image, and then crop that duplicated image, and save it as a variation.

Or do you want to have a custom preview of all images in the page-edit instance to be always "aspect ratio 1:2"? (thumbnails)

Hello again (by the way I really love ProcessWire),

I am attaching a screenshot. Let's say I have that wide image but I need to crop an image in ration 3:1 (for example 900x300 px). I cannot force the highlight to stick to the needed ratio and resize proportionally. I am not sure the CroppableImage3 module can handle this as I looked at the description but thank you for the suggestion.

Clipboard01.jpg

@kunago: CroppableImages only purpose is the creation of variations with fixed aspect ratios. But you need to define it in pixels.

Lets say you need a 3:1 result, your original image is 3000x3000 px, you need to define the outcoming pixeldimensions, for example 900x300, or 1800x600, or 3000x1000, ...

Then you will get a fixed aspect ratio rectangle to select your desired area. The result then is rendered as variation with your defined pixel dimensions.