COVID-19

markus_blue_tomato

In Austria the whole thing becomes creepy. schools closed, event/restaurants with more than 100 people are not allowed, borders to italy closed, other countries closed border to Austria, gov. want's that companies should make homeoffice etc.

Our company make home office beginning tomorrow.

Well, I live in Italy, Turin, inside a building 50mt far from an hospital and 20mt of a 24h supermarket. The hospital had 1 decease today and Covid19 is the one to blame for it. The supermarket is overcrowded outside even at 23 a.m.

I'm working from home and I cannot go outside without a 'right purpose' and a self-certificate of why I am there. 

My wife cannot stays home for work and her company produces various cleaning products which are a top-sellers this days... 

My 4yo son stays with his grandparent all day long, without having the opportunity to play with other kids. 

My mother is 72 and had, 2 years ago, some lunges problems and now, even though she is fine by now, she is really scared. 

• Sad 3

In Turkey we have offically 1 covid-19 case.

Today the Govermant has decided to close all schools and universities for 2 weeks.

All sports events will be held without spectators.

All public servants are prohibited to leave Turkey.

Some kind of food is rare at the warehouses.

We have not noticed any donws of our work or clients, but expecting bad for the near future.

14 hours ago, huseyin said:

In Turkey we have offically 1 covid-19 case.

Today the Govermant has decided to close all schools and universities for 2 weeks.

All sports events will be held without spectators.

All public servants are prohibited to leave Turkey.

Some kind of food is rare at the warehouses.

We have not noticed any donws of our work or clients, but expecting bad for the near future.

Today we have 2 covid-19 case.

I live in Turkey (Marmaris). Everything normal at the moment. I work from office.

Austria 2020-03-13 14:00: 361 Covid-19 cases, 1 dead. Starting with coming Monday all shops (except grocery stores, post office, banks, gas stations and similar) closed, schools closed! Some ski areas under complete quarantine. Borders closed. People are hoarding shops. It's really creepy! This is how I imagine the beginning of the Zombie Apocalypse!

But our neighbor country Italy is hit much harder: about 15.000 cases, more then 800 dead! Hold on through people!

23 hours ago, 3fingers said:

Well, I live in Italy, Turin, inside a building 50mt far from an hospital and 20mt of a 24h supermarket. The hospital had 1 decease today and Covid19 is the one to blame for it. The supermarket is overcrowded outside even at 23 a.m.

I'm working from home and I cannot go outside without a 'right purpose' and a self-certificate of why I am there. 

My wife cannot stays home for work and her company produces various cleaning products which are a top-sellers this days... 

My 4yo son stays with his grandparent all day long, without having the opportunity to play with other kids. 

My mother is 72 and had, 2 years ago, some lunges problems and now, even though she is fine by now, she is really scared. 

Hang in there and stay healthy!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Gadgetto said:

Austria 2020-03-13 14:00: 361 Covid-19 cases, 1 dead. Starting with coming Monday all shops (except grocery stores, post office, banks, gas stations and similar) closed, schools closed! Some ski areas under complete quarantine. Borders closed. People are hoarding shops. It's really creepy! This is how I imagine the beginning of the Zombie Apocalypse!

But our neighbor country Italy is hit much harder: about 15.000 cases, more then 800 dead! Hold on through people!

People buying 4 things in crazy amounts: noodles, rice, toiletpaper and BEER ?

Switzerland's government yesterday also announced new measures: Schools and public sport places (swimming pools etc.) will be closed, events with more than 100 people are forbidden. Probably for the first time in my life, I witnessed what panic buying and empty shelves look like in a nearby supermarket. I've previously only seen such stuff on TV.

As for work... we try to avoid / postpone meetings and do telcos instead. And home-office is always an option (always was, up to a degree).

Germany starts to close schools, cancels events and in parts public areas as restaurants and bars (Munich, Berlin as an example - more to come for sure). Borders will be closed starting tomorrow. Hospitals, doctors and various other medical areas are in... "alert mode".

I live on the countryside and people stay calm, no panic so far and no shortage for toilet paper or even "anti-viral/desinfect stuff".

Clients have to cancel lots of their events (creatives like comedians, restaurants, schools) but they see it as their responsibility to keep everyone as safe as possible. Hard times as it's their bread and butter but... somehow this will work out at the end. Hopefully.

Keep and stay safe everyone!

23 minutes ago, wbmnfktr said:

I live on the countryside and people stay calm, no panic so far and no shortage for toilet paper or even "anti-viral/desinfect stuff".

I live on the countryside too, but I had to travel to another town to restock toilet paper on Friday because every single one of our eight supermarkets and drug stores was out of stock. I finally got a pack (one out of the last three) in a neighbor town. People are hoarding like crazy. I saw a few customers with trolleys heaped with paper towels and pasta. Stupid. But if you look at the run for toilet paper, you know what's in their minds... But yes, most people around here are both realistic and calm, thankfully.

At work, we have a revolving home office schedule now in most departments to make sure that we can have staff on site in case those present at the office have to quarantine. Business is slowing down because negotiation meetings can't happen in person. But all that (as always in changing circumstances) means more work for our department for now to get as many colleagues as possible set up to work from home, i.e. additional VPN lines, laptops, remote desktops, e-learning, conferencing software etc. All things which we were already rolling out to everyone, but what was planned over the course of a year now has to happen within days and on top of ongoing major projects. So the weekends are going to get even shorter, and instead of implementing planned features in software, it's now more about tying things together to get everybody's remote work experience to lift off flawlessly.

For me personally, things got turned on the head because I was about to start the last four weeks of work before my half year sabbatical. After years of planning, I was about to thru-hike the Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada. I had my visa approved, gear bought, flight booked, the first stays before the trail arranged, my post re-routed and thousands of other little things taken care of. It's simply not feasible now. 5/6 of the trail go through what are now deemed high risk states California and Washington, and people there are going to have their own problems without me adding to it. Even if I found a way to hike there, I couldn't do so with a good conscience and leave family and friends here in such uncertain times. I thankfully can postpone my sabbatical to next year, but there's always an uncertainty about such massive undertakings.

But such things suddenly became far less important. It's about keeping people safe and being there for those who do or might need me right now.

Here in Germany, we're hitting exponential growth in numbers (from 157 new infections on Wednesday, to 271 on Thursday, then 802 on Friday and about 1800 yesterday). There will be no way around more restrictions similar to those in the countries around us.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Starting tomorrow everybody in austria should be in self isolation:

image.thumb.png.9a83b8c4a1600faba83ee0ce63654da4.png

This is good but TESTING is still TO LESS. In Austria you get only testet if you have symptoms and had contact to someone how as testet covid-19.

Really, my daughter and her mother had fever and has very strong cough. But no contact - no test. It's really stupid.

• Sad 1

Everybody please take this pandemic really seriously!!

On 3/13/2020 at 11:53 AM, pwired said:

covid kills 1% panic will kill the rest

Panic does not help for sure, but ignorance or underestimating this situation will cost the life of thousands of people all over the world! As the following chart shows, the mortality highly depends on the amount of people that are in need of medical care at one time!

1*yyDPXWFOJ7RgOjK_qXiC4A.gif
Taken from link 2, see below.

I have underestimated it myself just like almost anybody in europe has, as nobody of us here has ever experienced a situation like this before (in contrast to asia).

Here are two links that I encourage everybody to read, even if you live in an area that has not (yet) been affected:

1) https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/?fbclid=IwAR0ABgvQGxm005seLywxDkZScKImi53Du9lzAlMwrDH6qsaaefW-Oux-Gao They have great simulations of how such an exponential growth can/will happen and what every single person can do against it!

2) https://medium.com/@holger.heinze_81247/coronacodex-my-commitment-during-the-covid-19-pandemic-76613656dac0

I hope that was not offending the forum rules that don't want political discussion...

On 3/12/2020 at 4:38 PM, Markus (Blue Tomato) said:

How does it affect your dev life?

Do you have less costumers? Do you make more Home Office?

I work 100% remote now and I encourage everybody to do the same if at all possible. Not because I'm afraid (luckily I'm not at high risk as I'm young and healthy), but to take responsibility for all the people around me and keep the number of people needing medical care as low as possible so that the staff in the hospitals does not have to decide which patient (with severe symptoms) is treated and which is not (and will likely die).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

My local shop is well stocked with most things at the moment except milk (there's still a little), pasta, toilet rolls, paracetamol and Maltesers chocolate.

Someone out there is preparing for a Netflix binge-watching session sitting on a throne of toilet rolls whilst getting fat on maltesers and presumably taking the paracetamol after they get a chocolate-induced headache I guess ?‍♂️

I saw someone today buying a large quantity of bottled water as well. I'm fairly sure that still comes out of taps just fine ? It's a pandemic, it's not quite the same as the apocalypse ?

But in all seriousness, it is a very strange time. I just hope that those in need of vital supplies can still get them.  Stay safe folks and, if you can, stay indoors.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Someone out there is preparing for a Netflix binge-watching session sitting on a throne of toilet rolls whilst getting fat on maltesers and presumably taking the paracetamol after they get a chocolate-induced headache I guess ?‍♂️

Guilty for that one. Oh... wait... ?

Don't take meds unless necessary! You might want to know and feel if somethings is wrong with your body. Otherwise... Netflix-binging is fine. At least for good TV shows.

Times are very strange right now. Done all my groceries through Amazon and other online shops just to stay away from other people. Actually... had to go to my car dealer to get some things fixed with my car but they are already closed until further notice. So... either online grocery shopping or whatever. WEIRD. TIMES.

Keep and stay safe guys!

• Like 1

A work colleague has to find a new appartment till the end of March, because she got kicked out of the flat-share appt. The real-estate market is already unaffordable for most "normal" people in Zurich under "normal" circumstances. But findind something even halfway affordable in such a short period of time is crazy under such definitely-not-normal circumstances.

• Sad 1

I feel I'm going to go crazy in containment in my no balcony flat. On the other hand, I feel profoundly thankful for my working conditions  because I have a lot of friends loosing their jobs or freelance income since last week and s**t hasn't even hit the whole fan here in México. 

Stay safe everyone! Best of luck!

• Like 1

As if Corona wasn't enough, this morning Zagreb was hit by an earthquake. It seems that several hospitals were also damaged. Now instead of staying at home, several people are forced to go outside.

• Sad 1

7 ore fa, LAPS ha detto:

Vengo dall'Italia.

Pensa alla Via della  Seta e alla Belt and Road Initiative . Fai ... 2 + 2 = 4 e non sbagli.

Dai amico mio, for the various conspiracies theories Netflix in enough.
Once in a lifetime let's think about generosity and collaboration between people, over and beyond their country statuses :)

• Like 3

On 3/22/2020 at 2:16 PM, dragan said:

As if Corona wasn't enough, this morning Zagreb was hit by an earthquake. It seems that several hospitals were also damaged. Now instead of staying at home, several people are forced to go outside.

I felt it in the morning about 150 km away from ZG ... it was creepy