JeevanisM

The PHP vs Python Circus

Hi All,

I am seeing so many places and been told several times that Python is going to over take PHP. Is it true ? what you think about this most heated debatable subject ? Any one think switching from PHP to Python / Django is a better option for future ?

I've kept hearing that one for the last twenty years, yet here we are. I think that's enough said 😉

• Like 8

Exactly what BitPoet said.

Over the years I've heard over and over again how PHP is a dead/dying language, and how the future is all about [insert any imaginable language here]. If anything, I've learned not to care: PHP has been around for a long time, and to date it's still a lively project with a massive ecosystem.

When I started with PHP 4 (or 3 — can't remember for sure) back in the days, it was a whole different language, really. 5.x made it a viable object-oriented language, 7.x brought in massive improvements in terms of features and performance, and 8 looks like it's going to be a blast as well. So yeah, I don't see any reason to jump the ship at this point; if anything, I'm pretty sure that PHP will have a lot more to offer in the future 🙂

• Like 5

Python has one big advantage over PHP, which people might or might not care about: It‘s widely used for devops tooling because it‘s preinstalled on so many systems and it‘s growing super fast in the space of ML/AI/Science based computing because of it‘s bindings to fast low level C code while still writing python on top. If you care about those things or you want to do them as well, but not introduce a mix of technology, then sure python is a great solution. If not I don‘t see any reason to switch from whatever one is using right now.

• Like 6

On 2/22/2020 at 1:18 PM, LostKobrakai said:

Python has one big advantage over PHP, which people might or might not care about: It‘s widely used for devops tooling because it‘s preinstalled on so many systems and it‘s growing super fast in the space of ML/AI/Science based computing because of it‘s bindings to fast low level C code while still writing python on top. If you care about those things or you want to do them as well, but not introduce a mix of technology, then sure python is a great solution. If not I don‘t see any reason to switch from whatever one is using right now.

Almost every time I find one of these interesting ML/AI/Science based Python projects I want to include in my own work, I run in major compatibility issues. Either a bound C library has changed its signature too much, or the Python lib never got adapted to version 3 (or 3.7 and another lib needs native types). To me it seems like Python is partly a graveyard of university projects nobody cared to continue. Not that Python is bad in general. When Google app engine support for Python came out I implemented a service together with two other devs (extending in-game functionality of a virtual world) that took up to a few million hits per day and was lots of fun to build. But developing in Python can easily become a package version nightmare, and most tutorials out there just ignore that, which adds a steep learning curve if you want to do complex projects in Python. pyenv and pipenv, which came out last year, only address parts of that.

This xkcd is quite fitting I think 😉

I for one also have a (subjective) aversion to languages where whitespace has too much meaning. If you ever learned Cobol, you probably know what I mean...

• Like 3

I read some articles about the Django/Python super-man abilities and I got excited. Then I tried to run a test project and realized that I cannot simply setup the server just  as LAMP does !
This is real pain in the as$$ to setup a Django/python server, I guess PHP is more than enough for Web Apps.