Styleguide: strip trailing whitespace

Mikie

I think the ProcessWire style guide should move to recommending stripping trailing whitespace, and this should be implemented throughout core / recommened for all modules.

This would be inline with official php style guides, eg https://www.php-fig.org/psr/psr-12/

Just a thought. To me it is better to keep things cleaner than not. Would make diffing easier for those whose editors automatically highlight and strip whitespace on save, eg when trying to diff htaccess.txt and an edited .htaccess.

• Like 3

I completely agree - I always have my editor set to remove all trailing whitespace on save. It makes diffs so much easier to read/interpret because you don't end up with all the whitespace changes that can happen.

Unfortunately this has been discussed before and Ryan actually said "I find a space at the end of lines helpful in my editing environment" (https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/issues/1757). I don't understand why, but it sounds like he doesn't want to change this, although of course that discussion was some time ago.

• Like 2

I agree too that this should be added to the styleguide, and I also configured my IDE to strip trailing whitespace on save.

However, if we're talking about diff tools, it's just as easy to configure them to ignore whitespace (and even empty lines).

diff-options.PNG.4e7096f391dbf611afb1aa5bf7641092.PNG

PHPStorm

Git has the option --ignore-whitespace you can use.

VSCode: File => Preferences => Settings => Diff Editor => Ignore Trim Whitespace.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dragan said:

However, if we're talking about diff tools, it's just as easy to configure them to ignore whitespace (and even empty lines).

Yeah I didnt even know about this until the replies here.