ProcessWire on the web

apeisa

Could do with a nice square logo for that sort of thing - I am sure one appeared very, very briefly on the Wiki one day then vanished again...

It should still be on the wiki, at least it is for me. I couldn't stand the PW logo split on two lines (how it was before), so had to change it to something and this was the best I could come up with. I pulled this up from the past and I know folks aren't crazy about it, but just needed a square logo until someone comes up with something better. :)

post-2-0-23608400-1355934797_thumb.png

Interesting you are right, it is showing the old stacked logo in other browsers for me. I will attempt to fix.

Luis is right, Process=Avenir and Wire=Mahalia. Those are the same two faces used in the round logo above too, except reversed (P uses Mahalia and W uses Avenir).

---

Edit: everyone should now see the square logo. If you don't, you may need to reload:

pwlogo.png

Thanks for your efforts here. I think it looks a whole lot better than the Underground logo. And I think they are plenty different enough, so that's not a concern to me at least. What is a concern though is something that Diogo brought up when I'd done something similar (though not as pretty as yours). He mentioned that the uppercase Avenir P by itself looked like a parking sign, exemplifying standing still rather than moving forward… something we probably don't want to communicate. Once he mentioned that, I couldn't un-see it either. Though maybe we're looking too far into it, and I'd be curious what others think.

Ryan, that was on the favicon, and it was a P inside a square, and I think the circle makes all the difference. Still, for the logo I think the W shouldn't be dropped. Honestly I don't think the P for itself represents ProcessWire. I must say I'm not the biggest fan of the typeface combination of PW's logo, but for the sake of coherence, and not being in favor of changing the logo if not for something much better, I think the logo should be this one or simply the avenir P with the mahalia W inside the bluish grey square.

• Like 1

Spent some time creating random logos. Some are more cool some are maybe not. Didn't care about colors too much. Hard is to do something with the pw letters in the fonts of the logo. Maybe choosing another font for a more iconic shape would be good. Anyway just some food.

post-100-0-13257800-1356204162_thumb.jpg

post-100-0-56866200-1356204166_thumb.jpg

post-100-0-10675100-1356204171_thumb.jpg

post-100-0-97709100-1356204175_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Nice job Soma. I think you've done about as good as can be done with the type we're using. The truth is that we need a full rebranding pretty soon. The current branding was just quickly cobbled together by me a few years ago with little time or thought. And making logos has never been a specialty of mine. As the project has grown a lot since that time, we're nearing the point where we need a better presence with our logo... one that solves all the different scenarios at the beginning. Regarding typefaces, I love Avenir but have come to kind of dislike the Mahalia face. Though when it comes to rebranding the logo, we don't necessarily need to stick with any past typefaces.

• Like 2

I totally agree with this, but lets do this carefully, you don't want to be changing the logo again in one year, and I really believe that it's better a reasonable already recognizable logo (what there is now), than an only slightly better new logo.

As I said before, I think the square logo should be coherent with the logo as it is now. Here is something that I think is coherent with both the logo and the new website.

post-88-0-37993600-1356283732.png

• Like 4

The main reason I'm not that into Mahalia is because of the "w". When placed next to the "P" I always read it as "Pu" which at least in English is the term for "something stinks". So whatever face we end up using for the "W" probably has to be one that doesn't carry any resemblance to the "U". That's why I swapped the P and the W fonts on that earlier one, because the Avenir W is visually very far from a U. But the W is really the only reason I'm not a fan of Mahalia.

I like it too, a very good match for the current branding. But my eyes have been ruined because I see a cursive "u" (with a swash tail) every time I see that "w" by itself (outside of the word "wire"). "Pu" is what I see, and can't seem to unsee. That's specific to the Mahalia font, nothing to do with any particular implementation. If we could make the "w" a lowercase Avenir, getting across somewhat of an Element symbol type look, that might fit the bill. Ultimately though, if I'm the only one that sees "Pu" then I can accept that.

I also started to see u when i did the logos.

In diogos I see Photoshop Welements. :D

I don't think the cloud is something we should incorporate into a or any of the logos of PW. Just to fit the current website... which will change in 2-3 years. The letters typing is ok, but doesn't make a logo I'd want to live with.

I'm not sure anymore what is required or not and the way to go from here. :D

• Like 3

Mahalia was always my sole problem with the logo. If nobody including Ryan likes it, i would say it should be dropped. I think a new logo should be designed carefully (not a new logo only, to do it well it should be an entire corporate identity), but meanwhile, why not replace mahalia by a nice serifed typeface, or even a different weight of avenir?

i can't see Pu for how much i look at it, and in portuguese it also means what Ryan said :D

• Like 1