ProcessWire on the web

apeisa

I honestly don't understand the confusion with pages. When everything are pages, that's really all you have to know. Couldn't be any simpler...

Well, you gotta understand the power behind pages. At first I didn't get it either - because I only saw pages as, well, normal pages, just like in other systems. Not as a content container which can be called via the PW API. So yeah - once you got it, you got it. But it takes a while, I think. Especially when you look at and test many CMSs for just a short time.

So I think this power feature/USP got to be explained again and again - to attract new developers...

EDIT: hehehe, I should have answered right after reading Joss' message - instead of reading the message, then watching soccer, then answering - just to see that 2 other guys already answered the same... ;)

Soccer? What's soccer??  ;)

edit: just to clarify. I don't think you have to understand them right away. But I think that, by the time you are already doing a review, these concepts should be already clear. Anyway, I don't want to pick on @Tyssen, as it's a nice review regardless.

• Like 1

Yes -- and have you also noticed how "they" try to escape discussions that processwire is what revo should have become. Some of them try to escape by putting processwire as a simple cms or that in the end any cms will do the job. Yeah right. But, and here comes the but. Right now revo is their supposed starred cms but more and more it leaks out that revo is a fail. Complicated front end, slow directory tree, confusing user rights, and slow back end that doesn't even work on an ipad. The only thing for modx that could change the cms game is their modx_3. Only, since may 2012 nothing new is published about the modx_3 roadmap, state of development or estimated release date in 2013 for modx_3. We'll see how this is going to end. In the mean time more and more modx evo refugees are in da house O0

• 2 weeks later...

I think there are quite a few people here who had little PHP knowledge to start with that are getting on really well with ProcessWire and producing some excellent sites, but I know what he means as PHP can put people off before they've even tried learning a bit of it.

I think the point there is that ProcessWire is for people who want to try and expand their knowledge a little (or a lot) rather than those trying to find a magic system to do it all for them - which usually means their website will take 5 times longer to build than with PW.

For example, I manage an Intranet system which I first built about four years ago. The code is old and cobbled together. I'm now building a ticket system/helpdesk module that integrates with is and has all the features like departments, emails converted to tickets etc and it's 50% complete in less than 2 days (a few hours here and there spread over several evenings). I can't think of any other CMS or framework that would let you shave this much time off a project!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

German? What German? This is in English. Oh, wait a minute; that's Google Translational taking over!  ;) Nice presentation (slides); thanks for this. O0

I love this translation on Page/13

• Backend is out-of-the-box speed of an arrow
  • whosoever would even faster: ProCache     
  • several 100k pages no problem
Edited by kongondo
  • Like 1

That's great about the ProcessWire presentation. I really enjoyed the slides. I can't get the video to play more than one frame at a time, and I don't know what's being said either (I don't have multi-language support installed). But it looks like it went on for a good long time. Anyone that speaks German have a summary of what was said / how it went? Also, who did it? Big thanks to the presenter for taking the time to do this.  

• Like 2

Hey Everyone,

This is a great discussion -- we should know where ProcessWire is being discussed, and encourage more!

Soma: I tried to watch that video but it won't start.  Slides worked.  I've been very interested in knockoutJS for some time now, so glad to see it combined with ProcessWire.

Thanks,

Matthew

works for me also.

I've been very interested in knockoutJS for some time now, so glad to see it combined with ProcessWire.

For what I understand, it's not combined. It's one presentation for each separated.

@Matthew, thus far, it seems it's only people in the States who can't view it?! You and Ryan...strange..

From what I understand, the US has much poorer quality consumer internet than the rest of the world. Even in my case, I pay quite a bit for a Comcast business internet connection, but even it struggles with video content. If I want to watch a video (like from YouTube), I usually have to use my cell phone, disable WiFi and use an LTE connection (and even that doesn't always work). 

• 5 weeks later...