ProcessWire on the web

apeisa

Hi,

I've just found out again about browser-update.org via another website using it.

If someone knowledgeable enough created a (simple) module/"plugin", ProcessWire could also be mentioned on the homepage:

"You may also use third-party plugins for: WordPress, ember-cli, TYPO3, TYPOlight (german), vBulletin, concrete5, MODx, Drupal, Habari, Magento, WCF 2, CMS made simple, XenForo."

:rolleyes:  easy as easy - but could you please test it - i'm on the run and some days away this week...just cut the helloworld module down to get this work...attention it is just fast scripted in the browser via github...so if you take the time test it on a site?

https://github.com/mr-fan/HelloBrowser

and at the end of the week we could contribute to the browser-update.org linklist! ;)

best regards mr-fan

• Like 1

Hi,

I've just uploaded the HelloBrowser module via ftp to test it on a demo website (version 2.5.3) and am getting a blank page with the following error message after having hit the Refresh button to find new modules:

Parse Error: syntax error, unexpected 'script' (T_STRING) (line 83 of /*****/****/*********/var/www/****************.web4me.fr/htdocs/site/modules/HelloBrowser/HelloBrowser.module) 
This error message was shown because you are logged in as a Superuser. Error has been logged. 

I've had to remove the module's folder via ftp in order to be able to access the Module administration again.

• Like 1

I've just found the following article via Twitter: https://www.cmscritic.com/a-look-at-processwires-latest-core-updates/.

I haven't read it yet. I have just clicked on the link because I've seen an error worth noting...

I am going to send the author a message to suggest him a change from "ProcessWire, the open source PHP platform, has some updates well worth nothing." to "ProcessWire, the open source PHP platform, has some updates well worth noting."

:)

• Like 5

Hi,

I've just found (about) http://opensource.com and have used the Contact page form to mention the ProcessWire CMF/CMS.

We will see if it is added here: http://opensource.com/resources/projects-and-applications

I've seen this at the end of an article (about a Python/PostgreSQL CMS):

"This article is part of the The Open CMS column coordinated by Robin Muilwijk. Share your stories about working with open source content management systems (CMS) and platforms like Drupal, Joomla, Plone, WordPress, and more."

So if someone is ready to write a nice story...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am new to ProcessWire. I am not new, however, to programming (started with assembly back in the '70s). I'm not writing a marketing speel here -- I simply want you (the developers and community) to know how I arrived at ProcessWire as my solution.

I have specific requirements for a numer of projects that I will be starting (hopefully) in the next few days, and had been researching various CMSs and frameworks the past few weeks to find a 'one-size-fits-all' toolbox. I have currently forty-four cms installs (from academic to zikula) and thirteen different frameworks ( from akelos to zoop). They all have their merits, and are fine solutions for many users and developers.

ProcessWire is one of the original 44 installs, but at first 'glance' didn't seem to fit what I was looking for. Later, after searching the web for a solution to one particular issue, a link back to a PW solution emerged. I clicked the link, and low and behold, ProcessWire *was* what I had been searching for all this time. On a related note, google has sent me a nasty-gram about the reactor they had to fire up because of my queries.

The primary strength of ProcessWire that I have discovered so far, is that I (as a developer) am not limited in the tools I can use, or the tools I can create. ProcessWire is sleek and efficient. It is a toolbox full of tools that allow me to build a fine watch, a multi-story office complex, or a fishing pole. The other applications suffer from either bloatware or limited tool availability, or worse, both. I could very well accomplish my project goals using any of these other applications but with much head-banging, hair-pulling, and cosumption of scotch. The biggest 'selling' factor to me for ProcessWire, however, was it's efficient engieering in the construction of built-in tools I will require now, and the ability to create my own tools for use in the future.

• Like 16

@rick: If any question should appear while you're (hopefully) do your projects in the next days just come back to the forum and ask - we're happy to help you here :) (And welcome to the ProcessWire family of course O0 )

• Like 2

@Soma: I've been trying to remember the specific issue I was researching -- Happens a lot when I walk into the kitchen too. :) I will post it when I eventually think of it, though.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

I've been reading through many of the posts in getting started, api/module, etc., and the only question I have at the moment is in regard to the documentation and cheat sheet. I think I read that the cheat sheet is being updated, and the wiki is going away. Being the newbie, I like to try and find out the answers before coming here and wasting y'alls time with a rookie question. So, my question is, how up-to-date, or sync'd, are the reference materials in relation to the production releases?

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

I've been reading through many of the posts in getting started, api/module, etc., and the only question I have at the moment is in regard to the documentation and cheat sheet. I think I read that the cheat sheet is being updated, and the wiki is going away. Being the newbie, I like to try and find out the answers before coming here and wasting y'alls time with a rookie question. So, my question is, how up-to-date, or sync'd, are the reference materials in relation to the production releases?

If you're running the dev version (which I like to do since so many amazing features make it into PW each Friday), then reading the blog is a must:

http://processwire.com/blog/

I'd say read at least the last 10 posts (better yet, all of them) and continue reading every Friday.  They get straight to the point and have nuggets of information that aren't in the Docs section.

My opinion is the Docs are great and will get you far, but is missing other nuggets of specific information.  For example, you would never know there's a function called wireIncludeFile unless (a) you read it in the blog, (b) you somehow found a mention to it in the forums or © explored the source code a bit.

• Like 4

ProcessWire is one of the original 44 installs, but at first 'glance' didn't seem to fit what I was looking for. 

Hi Rick

I've read few intros on the PW forums and this seems to be a common experience (myself included). Can you recall why it didn't seem to match requirements initially and which version (approximately) was it at?

P

Hi Peter,

When I first looked at PW, the docs were referring to templates. I admit that my first impression was based on cursory observations. After looking at CMSs and framework applications for two weeks straight, I assumed that PW was the same as the rest, and dismissed it as such. I had basically resolved myself to writing my own CMF (not CMS) to complete some upcoming projects. The version I looked at was current two weeks ago (I don't recall the version number). I have since been running the dev version.

I am still trying to recall the issue I was researching when I came across a solution that mentioned PW. At that time, I looked more in-depth, and I am glad I came back and gave it a second chance. I really like the structure and how well engineered it is. Ryan has done an amazing job, and the support here is from highly skilled programmers as well. I have nowhere near the skill level they have, which is causing me some headaches trying to adjust to the page and template context of PW from what I have experienced in the past. That is not a deterrent, it simply means my learning curve is somewhat vertical. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good read. I was 99% doing the same thing migrating a Drupal 6 site to... Drupal 7. I wish I knew PW back then...

Thanks for that MichaMichaMicha,

At first I was excited about the article...people have been waiting for this....Then reading it, it turns out (not-so-under the hood) this is an article about WordPress! What cheek! Underneath all the veneer about talking about PW, he/she is just bashing PW and not really saying much about its strength. Nothing about its raw power! I don't think the writer has even used PW before!! What a load of tosh! My frustration is not vented at you....but the writer of the article... That was supposed to be an intro...for crying out loud!  >:(

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 3