ProcessWire on the web

apeisa

I am not a graphic designer, but if I was briefing for a design to support a brand identity, I would stay away from playing with the letters or the name.

Process Wire, as a phrase, works very well both in a branding sense and in a descriptive sense.

Moving to PW is a useful chatting short-cut, but no longer delivers the brand phrase or, indeed any brand values.

So, in that case, the brief would be to look for an easily repeatable (and easily modifiable*) logo/design that can be used in conjunction with the words Process Wire, rather than trying to replace them.

A good solid logo without letters has a very long life span while remaining adaptable to changing trends and, indeed, the success of the brand.

*Note: it should be modifiable in that it can work with different colours and in different contexts, while retaining a shape that is set in stone. This makes is multi-use from the outset which saves a lot of heart ache later.

JS

• Like 4

I don't think there's any intention of replacing the logo with PW, but we just need an alternate square logo for the situations when a long horizontal logo doesn't fit (like the wiki). I agree that a mark (something other than PW) that can go with the logotype, or go by itself, would be great. But a branding challenge too.

• 2 weeks later...

Joss, that's a long story... PW was already there and hit the first place very quickly, then suddenly it went to last in only a few minutes. You can read the about it here http://processwire.c...ages/#entry5671

Okay, scrub that!

Plenty of other places that get read by developers ... :)

I had heard of voting scams on other sites before, but hadn't realised that it extended there too.

It is the unreliable nature of the internet, sadly. Do devs ever read actual paper magazines these days?

The opensourcecms.com folks are good people. But I'm not sure they fully understand the extent to which those votes are manipulated. I'm still hopeful they will fix this someday, by at least tying it to some kind of recognized account system (even Facebook). But they will have to throw out the votes they've collected in the past, as they are largely noise. Once they do correct this system and make it honest, we will gladly have ProcessWire there, and I know other CMS projects that will follow suit.

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys. I'm someone that likes to think a lot before I respond to questions, and didn't have time to do that here (it was a Skype interview rather than by email or something). But I'm happy with how it worked out. And perhaps the "live" nature makes for a more interesting interview. Very appreciative to Mike for inviting me to do this. I'm really liking the huge ProcessWire logo at cmscritic.com too. :) 

• Like 3

Trust me - off the cuff interviews, even with corporate subjects, are always the best.

Rehearsed interviews, even on paper, come across as contrived.

We used to have a rule of thumb that it was not in the interest of most radio stations, magazines, business publications to make you look bad. They end up looking weak and poisonous, and it undermines their role which is to inform their listeners/readers.

You have to be a little careful of that principle on the web because their are a lot of blog owners out there who have not had formal journalism training or worked in mainstream media, and think that it is all about them and not the interviewee.

But with people like Mke at CMS Critic, he seems to have got his head round that one and it was a well laid out interview.

Interesting review, and I have sympathy with his confusion about pages - which is why I wrote my tongue in cheek post about pages ages ago.

However, he has missed the point that pages are a versatile tool and not just lump of text. He also seems to have misunderstood about the relationship between the page list and the site and that you are not limited to the page list structure if you dont want to be.

I think he sees it as something that is great for a handful of pages and does not realise that it can be used for vast, resource driven sites and solutions.

But that is probably not the reviewers fault, but maybe something that we can all sell better from this end.